Organic food is a topic for pseudoscience?

In summary: That's why we mentioned different examples of pseudoscience, such as homeopathic medicine, astrology, and the like. These are all topics that are considered to fall under the category of pseudoscience and could be used as examples in your presentation. You could also research and discuss the characteristics of pseudoscience, such as the lack of scientific methodology and evidence. In summary, pseudoscience is a methodology or belief that is presented as scientific but lacks evidence and is not based on proper scientific methodology. Examples include homeopathic medicine, astrology, and creationism.
lugo
I need to write 3-5 paragraph for a topic about science, non-science reported like science , or pseudoscience.

I want to know if Organic food is a topic for pseudoscience? If so, what should I write about?

I want to write how healthy organic food are, better tasting, chemical-free, etc.
This is important because this is a presentation.. 5-10 minutes to present to the class.
There are about 20 students in class. I want to use power point explaining the aspects.
I just started taking biology classes, so I don't know exactly what pseudoscience is.

Biology news on Phys.org

Probably investigating the answers to these questions would better serve your education, methinks...

Edit: To help guide you I'd start with scholarly/professional/academic bodies (like the National Academy of Science or National Science Foundation) and see what they have to say on the matter.

What is pseudoscientific about wanting to buy and eat food that has no residues of fungicides/pesticides, etc? Methinks you're grabbing the wrong end of the stick.

Why not go for something obviously pseudoscientific, such as the "raw food only" movement, or the crap that Deepak Chopra sells? In addition, this should really be in homework help...

nismaratwork said:
Why not go for something obviously pseudoscientific, such as the "raw food only" movement, or the crap that Deepak Chopra sells? In addition, this should really be in homework help...

Raw food only sounds good! What should I write about.

lugo said:
Raw food only sounds good! What should I write about.

Nah ahh ahhhhh... you have to figure that out. I'd consider what it is that "raw foodies" think they gain by their practice, and compare it with actual outcomes. That's where to start... if you have specific medical questions I'd be happy to engage, but as this is homework, we must be careful on this site. I do like the idea of you doing this however.

Chemical-free food is one of my favorite idiocies. It deserves much more than just 3-5 paragraphs, although you may need to shape it correctly to fit the subject.

Hollow Earth Society!

Alchemy is a classic pseudoscience. Lots of material I imagine.

Actually I second the Hollow Earth Society.

How about homeopathic medicines? That alone is good for pages and pages, especially when you get into the claims that repeated dilutions actually make the "medications" more potent. Google it and see.

Astrology, numerology, palm/entrails/dregs reading.

Borek said:
Chemical-free food is one of my favorite idiocies. It deserves much more than just 3-5 paragraphs, although you may need to shape it correctly to fit the subject.

I don't think I'd like an apple without methyl butyrate.

lisab said:
I don't think I'd like an apple without methyl butyrate.

I wouldn't put it better :rofl:

Lets take the reading of entrails to the logical extreme and shock his class: anthropomancy. :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
What is pseudoscientific about wanting to buy and eat food that has no residues of fungicides/pesticides, etc? Methinks you're grabbing the wrong end of the stick.

I don't know? Maybe without all those "fungicides or pesticides or bactericides" you're more likely to eat something, like one of those organisms they were put there to kill?

Borek said:
I wouldn't put it better :rofl:

All those evil mass production, chemical using food companies suck-- Till you get dysentery :eek:

The problem is that I don't know what to write about as I don't know what's pseudoscience exactly! I don't know what they do.

PS: I just started taking Biology for the first time a week ago.

Last edited:

From wikipedia:

"Pseudoscience is a methodology, belief, or practice that is claimed to be scientific, or that is made to appear to be scientific, but which does not adhere to an appropriate scientific methodology, lacks supporting evidence or plausibility, or otherwise lacks scientific status. The term is inherently pejorative, because it is used to assert that something is being inaccurately or deceptively portrayed as science, Accordingly, those labeled as practicing or advocating pseudoscience normally dispute the characterization.

Pseudoscience has been characterised by the use of vague, exaggerated or untestable claims, over-reliance on confirmation rather than refutation, lack of openness to testing by other experts, and a lack of progress in theory development. There is disagreement among philosophers of science and commentators in the scientific community as to whether there is a reliable way of distinguishing pseudoscience from non-mainstream science. Paul DeHart Hurd, who is among the science educators who have taught courses on the topic, wrote that part of gaining scientific literacy is being able to tell science apart from "pseudo-science, such as astrology, quackery, the occult, and superstition"."

The heart of real science is that it consist of methodology's that provide testable predictions. Nothing in the world is real nor is it properly understood at all. This is why theories are constantly changeing and being tested. Scientific theories therefore must be robust ideas that we use to chart the unknown. Scientific theories like say gravity arent true but give us a good handle to grasp the world with. Again by testing a theory like gravity from every direction we are pokeing and proding it from every direction in order to make sure it fits what is observed as closely as possible.

Psuedoscience is the direct opposite. Creationism, astorology, ect are mans attempts to limit and control the scary unkowns instead of making them known. Creationism is incapable of making predictions that can be tested and so is a psuedoscience. Astrology is testable and consistantly fails miserably and so is a psuedoscience.

Hope that helps a little.

Another way to tell what pseudoscience is:

Listen to some Feynman lectures... then listen to a "quantum guru". The former should make your head throb a bit, the latter your stomach churn.

In addition, when dealing with pseudoscience you'll often find that you detect a strong odor of manure. :biggrin:

bobze said:
All those evil mass production, chemical using food companies suck-- Till you get dysentery :eek:

I think you are still missing the point.

lugo said:
The problem is that I don't know what to write about as I don't know what's pseudoscience exactly! I don't know what they do.

PS: I just started taking Biology for the first time a week ago.

That's the point of the exercise, for you to learn and actively think about what pseudoscience is. Rather than your teacher just tell you.

You might find this website, http://www.indiana.edu/~ensiweb/" hosted by Indiana University, helpful.

Particularly this part on the http://www.indiana.edu/~ensiweb/natsc.fs.html"

Borek said:
I think you are still missing the point.

I got the point that those foods have "scary sounding" chemicals in them already :smile: That was my attempt at a humorous stab at how sill some of the proponents for "organics only" are :smile: Sorry if it wasn't so humorous, it came after a daunting 4 hours in the gross lab :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of organic food?

Organic food is food produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Organic foods are also not genetically modified or irradiated.

2. Is organic food more nutritious than conventionally grown food?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that organic food is more nutritious than conventionally grown food. However, organic food may have higher levels of certain nutrients due to the absence of synthetic chemicals that can deplete soil quality.

3. Are there any health benefits to eating organic food?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that organic food has any greater health benefits than conventionally grown food. However, some people may choose organic food for personal or environmental reasons.

4. Is organic food free from all pesticides?

No, organic food can still contain pesticides. However, organic pesticides are derived from natural sources and are subject to strict regulations and limitations on their use.

5. Why is organic food considered a topic for pseudoscience?

Organic food is often considered a topic for pseudoscience because some claims about its benefits are not supported by scientific evidence. Additionally, there is a lack of consistent standards and regulations for organic food, making it difficult to determine its true impact on health and the environment.