Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Origin of spatial metric

1. Aug 21, 2008 #1
    Can anyone explain to me the origin of the spatial metric for measuring distances in non-inertial frames?

[itex]d\ell^2 = [(g_{0i}g_{0j})/g_{00} - g_{ij}]dx^i dx^j[/itex].

I've heard it quoted but never seen it derived. I believe it works on the assumption that distance is half the proper time for return of an em signal (whatever that means).

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2
    My best guess:

[itex]ds^2 = g_{00} c^2 dt^2 + g_{ij}dx^{i} dx^{j} + 2g_{0i} cdt dx^i [/itex]

[itex]c^2 d\tau^2 = g_{00} dt^2[/itex]

On null geodesics

[itex]0 = g_{00} c^2 dt^2 + g_{ij}dx^{i} dx^{j} + 2g_{0i} cdt dx^i \implies[/itex]
    [itex] c dt = -\frac{g_{0i} dx^i}{g_{00}} \pm \frac{\sqrt{g_{0i}g_{0j}dx^i dx^j - g_{00} g_{ij} dx^i dx^j }}{g_{00}}[/itex] (quadratic equation)

Now [itex]d\ell =c\frac{1}{2}d\tau = c\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{g_{00}}(dt_++dt_-) = \frac{g_{0i}dx^i}{g_{00}} \implies[/itex]

[itex]d\ell^2 = \frac{g_{0i}g_{0j}dx^i dx^j}{g_{00}}[/itex]

which is wrong.

4. Aug 21, 2008 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never seen this before, but a little thought suggests the following.

I think we have to assume that the curves [itex]dx^1=dx^2=dx^3=0[/itex] represent worldlines of observers and I think the metric you quoted measures distance within the surfaces that are orthogonal to those worldlines.

If [itex]U^{\alpha}[/itex] is parallel to the 4-velocity of such an observer, with components (1, 0, 0, 0), consider decomposing [itex]dx^{\alpha}[/itex] as

[tex]dx^{\alpha} = dP^{\alpha} + dQ^{\alpha}[/tex]​

where [itex]dP^{\alpha}[/itex] is parallel to [itex]U^{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]dQ^{\alpha}[/itex] is orthogonal to it. The orthogonality ensures that

[tex]dx_{\alpha}dx^{\alpha} = dP_{\alpha}dP^{\alpha} + dQ_{\alpha}dQ^{\alpha}[/tex]​

The required projection is given by

[tex]dP^{\alpha} = \frac{U_{\beta}U^{\alpha}}{U_{\gamma}U^{\gamma}}dX^{\beta}[/tex]​

and then I think it all follows from that, noting that

[tex]U_{\beta} = g_{\beta \alpha} U^{\alpha} = g_{\beta 0}[/tex]​

and the answer you want is [itex]d\ell^2 = dQ_{\alpha}dQ^{\alpha}[/itex].

That would be "radar distance" which amounts to the same thing infinitesimally, but not over larger distances (except in flat spacetime).

5. Aug 21, 2008 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

[tex]d\ell^2 = [(g_{0i}g_{0j})/g_{00} - g_{ij}]dx^i dx^j[/tex]

It is the radar infinitismal spatial distance. There's a good derivation in appendix A of the attached.

DrGreg's derivation is along the right lines but I haven't checked it.

M

Attached Files:

6. Aug 21, 2008 #5
    Hi DrGreg,

You're correct, the metric is actually the same thing as the projection operator [itex]U^\alpha U^\beta - g^{\alpha\beta}[/itex], written in the frame where the observer has vanishing 3-velocity.

The error in my derivation of radar distance was to add [itex]dt_+,dt_-[/itex] when I should have subtracted them. This is because one of them gives a time into the past which is negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?