What is the Origin of the Spatial Metric in Non-Inertial Frames?

In summary: So we should take distance to be half the difference, not the sum. I've edited my earlier post to correct that.Best wishes,N.In summary, the origin of the spatial metric for measuring distances in non-inertial frames is based on the assumption that distance is half the proper time for return of an em signal. It is derived from the projection operator U^\alpha U^\beta - g^{\alpha\beta}, written in the frame where the observer has vanishing 3-velocity, and is given by d\ell^2 = [(g_{0i}g_{0j})/g_{00} - g_{ij}]dx^i dx^j. This is also known as the radar infinitesimal
jdstokes
Can anyone explain to me the origin of the spatial metric for measuring distances in non-inertial frames?

[itex]d\ell^2 = [(g_{0i}g_{0j})/g_{00} - g_{ij}]dx^i dx^j[/itex].

I've heard it quoted but never seen it derived. I believe it works on the assumption that distance is half the proper time for return of an em signal (whatever that means).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My best guess:

[itex]ds^2 = g_{00} c^2 dt^2 + g_{ij}dx^{i} dx^{j} + 2g_{0i} cdt dx^i [/itex]

[itex]c^2 d\tau^2 = g_{00} dt^2[/itex]

On null geodesics

[itex]0 = g_{00} c^2 dt^2 + g_{ij}dx^{i} dx^{j} + 2g_{0i} cdt dx^i \implies[/itex]
[itex] c dt = -\frac{g_{0i} dx^i}{g_{00}} \pm \frac{\sqrt{g_{0i}g_{0j}dx^i dx^j - g_{00} g_{ij} dx^i dx^j }}{g_{00}}[/itex] (quadratic equation)

Now [itex]d\ell =c\frac{1}{2}d\tau = c\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{g_{00}}(dt_++dt_-) = \frac{g_{0i}dx^i}{g_{00}} \implies[/itex]

[itex]d\ell^2 = \frac{g_{0i}g_{0j}dx^i dx^j}{g_{00}}[/itex]

which is wrong.

jdstokes said:
Can anyone explain to me the origin of the spatial metric for measuring distances in non-inertial frames?

[itex]d\ell^2 = [(g_{0i}g_{0j})/g_{00} - g_{ij}]dx^i dx^j[/itex].

I've heard it quoted but never seen it derived.
I've never seen this before, but a little thought suggests the following.

I think we have to assume that the curves [itex]dx^1=dx^2=dx^3=0[/itex] represent worldlines of observers and I think the metric you quoted measures distance within the surfaces that are orthogonal to those worldlines.

If [itex]U^{\alpha}[/itex] is parallel to the 4-velocity of such an observer, with components (1, 0, 0, 0), consider decomposing [itex]dx^{\alpha}[/itex] as

[tex]dx^{\alpha} = dP^{\alpha} + dQ^{\alpha}[/tex]​

where [itex]dP^{\alpha}[/itex] is parallel to [itex]U^{\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]dQ^{\alpha}[/itex] is orthogonal to it. The orthogonality ensures that

[tex]dx_{\alpha}dx^{\alpha} = dP_{\alpha}dP^{\alpha} + dQ_{\alpha}dQ^{\alpha}[/tex]​

The required projection is given by

[tex]dP^{\alpha} = \frac{U_{\beta}U^{\alpha}}{U_{\gamma}U^{\gamma}}dX^{\beta}[/tex]​

and then I think it all follows from that, noting that

[tex]U_{\beta} = g_{\beta \alpha} U^{\alpha} = g_{\beta 0}[/tex]​

and the answer you want is [itex]d\ell^2 = dQ_{\alpha}dQ^{\alpha}[/itex].

jdstokes said:
I believe it works on the assumption that distance is half the proper time for return of an em signal

That would be "radar distance" which amounts to the same thing infinitesimally, but not over larger distances (except in flat spacetime).

[tex]d\ell^2 = [(g_{0i}g_{0j})/g_{00} - g_{ij}]dx^i dx^j[/tex]

It is the radar infinitismal spatial distance. There's a good derivation in appendix A of the attached.

DrGreg's derivation is along the right lines but I haven't checked it.

M

Attachments

• radar coords 0409052v2.pdf
    194.5 KB · Views: 257
Hi DrGreg,

You're correct, the metric is actually the same thing as the projection operator [itex]U^\alpha U^\beta - g^{\alpha\beta}[/itex], written in the frame where the observer has vanishing 3-velocity.

The error in my derivation of radar distance was to add [itex]dt_+,dt_-[/itex] when I should have subtracted them. This is because one of them gives a time into the past which is negative.

1. What is the origin of spatial metric?

The origin of spatial metric is a concept in physics that refers to the mathematical description of the geometry of space. It is often used in the context of theories of gravity, such as Einstein's theory of General Relativity, to describe the curvature of space and how objects move through it.

2. How is spatial metric related to the theory of relativity?

Spatial metric is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. In Einstein's theory of General Relativity, the presence of matter and energy in space causes the curvature of the spatial metric, which in turn dictates how objects move through space. In the theory of Special Relativity, the spatial metric is used to describe the symmetries of space and time.

3. Can the origin of spatial metric be observed?

No, the origin of spatial metric cannot be directly observed. The spatial metric is a mathematical construct used to describe the geometry of space, and it is only indirectly observed through its effects on the motion of objects and the bending of light.

4. How has our understanding of the origin of spatial metric evolved over time?

Our understanding of the origin of spatial metric has evolved significantly over time. In ancient times, space was thought to be flat and Euclidean, but with the development of the theory of relativity, our understanding of the spatial metric has become more complex and dynamic. New theories, such as loop quantum gravity and string theory, continue to push our understanding of the origin of spatial metric even further.

5. Why is understanding the origin of spatial metric important?

Understanding the origin of spatial metric is important because it provides a framework for understanding the fundamental nature of space and how it is affected by matter and energy. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of objects in space and has practical applications in fields such as astronomy and cosmology.