1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal eigenfunctions

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] orthogonal eigenfunctions

From Sturm-Louisville eigenvalue theory we know that eigenfunctions corresponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal. For example,

[tex]\Phi_{xx} + \lambda \Phi = 0[/tex]

would be of Sturm-Louisville form (note: [itex]\Phi_{xx}[/itex] represents the second derivative of Phi with respect to x)

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[p(x) \frac{d \Phi}{dx}] + (q(x) + \sigma(x) \lambda)\Phi = 0[/tex]

where q = 0, p = 1, and [itex]\sigma[/itex] = 1. The boundary conditions are

BC1: [tex]\Phi(0) = 0[/tex]

and

BC2: [tex]\Phi_x(L) + h \Phi(L,t) = 0 [/tex]

which means that there can be one eigenfunction corresponding to a negative eigenvalue and the rest are sines relating to the positive eigenvalues, specifically that the eigenfunctions would be

[tex]\Phi_n(x) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {sinh \sqrt{s_1}x} & {n=1} \\
    {sin\sqrt{\lambda_n}x} & {n > 1} \\
    \end{array}} \right.[/tex]

Basically all I need to do is show that

[tex]\int_0^L sin \sqrt{\lambda_n}x sinh \sqrt{s_1} x dx = 0[/tex]

with integration by parts I have gotten to the point

[tex]\int_0^L sin \sqrt{\lambda_n}x sinh \sqrt{s_1} x dx = \frac{\sqrt{s_e}cosh(\sqrt{s_e}L)sin(L\sqrt{\lambda}) - \sqrt{\lambda_n}cos(\sqrt{\lambda_n}L)sinh(L\sqrt{s_e})}{s_e+\lambda}[/tex]

and mathematica gives the same thing. I don't see this being zero any time soon. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

I think it is zero. Use the information on lambda and s that you get by imposing the second BC.

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    The second BC gives transcendental equations though.

[tex] tan(\sqrt{\lambda}x) = -\sqrt{\lambda}/h[/tex]

and

[tex]tanh(\sqrt{s}L) = -\sqrt{s}/h[/tex]

which require numerical methods. I'm pretty sure this can be done analytically.

5. Dec 2, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You don't have to solve them, you have to USE them to show that your overlap integral is zero.

6. Dec 3, 2007 #5
    I'm probably going to feel stupid when I finally figure it out, but I still don't really see what to do. The second BC will tell us that the eigenvalues are different, which is why Sturm-Louisville would say that the integral must be zero. Beyond that though, I can't see how it directly influences the integration.

7. Dec 3, 2007 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

I can write your overlap integral as
    [tex]\frac{\sinh(\sqrt{s_e}L)\sin(\sqrt{\lambda_n}L)}{s_e+\lambda_n}\left[
    \sqrt{s_e}\coth(\sqrt{s_e}L) - \sqrt{\lambda_n}\cot(\sqrt{\lambda_n}L)}\right][/tex]
    Now look at the equations you get from the boundary conditions, and use them to simplify each term in the square brackets ...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  8. Dec 3, 2007 #7
    Shoot dang Avodyne, nice algebra trick and nice foresight. Thanks for the help.

9. Dec 3, 2007 #8

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You're welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?