Solving Oscillating Particle Homework: Max Speed of 1.90g Particle

In summary, the particle oscillates between 2 and 8mm and the point of greatest speed is the point at which it is neither accelerating nor decelerating. The potential energy is converted to kinetic energy so it would be moving fastest at x=4mm.
jmm

Homework Statement

What is the maximum speed of a 1.90g particle that oscillates between x=2mm and x=8mm in the figure?
knight_Figure_10_31.jpg

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have the foggiest idea how to do this problem. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the particle oscillates there, how much potential energy is lost when it gets to the lowest point? Where does this potential energy go (since energy can't be created or destroyed)?

Currently trying to sort this kinda' stuff out myself.

I don't really know how to explain it, but I think that the point at which the particle has the greatest speed will be the part at which it is neither accelerating or decelerating.
Unless I'm totally wrong.

You're half right. The point of greatest speed will correspond to no more acceleration (no faster!), but not to no more deceleration (it can obviously get slower).

The potential energy is converted to kinetic energy so it would be moving fastest at x=4mm. I know that Total Energy = Potential Energy + Kinetic Energy but how do I know what the total energy is? Since it's oscillating, would the total energy of the system be entirely in the form of potential energy at x=2,8mm? If so, total energy would be 5J and its kinetic energy at x=4mm would be 4J. So v=sqrt(2E/m)=64.9m/s Does that sound right?

Matterwave said:
You're half right. The point of greatest speed will correspond to no more acceleration (no faster!), but not to no more deceleration (it can obviously get slower).

I guess I don't understand. You're saying that when it decelerates, the speed won't decrease?

jmm said:
The potential energy is converted to kinetic energy so it would be moving fastest at x=4mm. I know that Total Energy = Potential Energy + Kinetic Energy but how do I know what the total energy is? Since it's oscillating, would the total energy of the system be entirely in the form of potential energy at x=2,8mm? If so, total energy would be 5J and its kinetic energy at x=4mm would be 4J. So v=sqrt(2E/m)=64.9m/s Does that sound right?

Correct! Great!

ehild

jmm said:

Correct! The reasoning is:
If the particle oscillates to 2 to 8 and does not go over those limits, then at those points all the energy of the particle is potential energy, if it had any kinetic energy left, it'd still be moving in that direction! Thus total energy=5J as you say.

@Torquescrew: If an object decelerates, it loses speed, that's the definition of deceleration. The point is, at the maximum speed of an object, the object may be slowing down (but not speeding up)!

For example, if I accelerate my car to 160mph and then slow down to stop, (thus the point that I reached 160 mph is the point of maximum speed); at 160mph (the maximum point), i can not be accelerating (or else I'd be going faster) but I can decelerate (to stop). I don't know how else to put this...o_O

Sweet thanks!

1. What is an oscillating particle?

An oscillating particle is a particle that moves back and forth in a regular pattern around a fixed point. This type of motion is known as oscillatory motion and is commonly seen in pendulums, springs, and other types of systems.

2. How do you calculate the maximum speed of an oscillating particle?

The maximum speed of an oscillating particle can be calculated using the formula v_max = Aω, where A is the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium) and ω is the angular frequency (2πf, where f is the frequency in Hertz).

3. What is the significance of using 1.90g as the particle's mass?

The mass of the particle affects its maximum speed as it is directly proportional to the amplitude (A) in the formula v_max = Aω. Using 1.90g as the mass allows for a specific and consistent measurement for comparison and analysis.

4. Can the maximum speed of an oscillating particle be greater than its initial speed?

Yes, the maximum speed of an oscillating particle can be greater than its initial speed. This is because the amplitude (A) can be larger than the initial displacement, resulting in a higher maximum speed.

5. How does the frequency of the oscillation affect the maximum speed of the particle?

The frequency of the oscillation affects the maximum speed of the particle indirectly through the angular frequency (ω). As the frequency increases, ω also increases, resulting in a higher maximum speed according to the formula v_max = Aω.