Oscillation Frequency of superposition of two oscillations of different frequencies

In summary, the frequency of combined motion in the given problem is 0.5 Hz and the periods are 2 seconds and non-periodic for parts (a) and (b) respectively. The question also discusses using complex exponentials to solve similar problems.
Sidnv

Homework Statement

Find the frequency of combined motion of the following

(a) x = sin (12pi.t) + cos(13pi.t + pi/4)
(b) x = sin(3t) - cos(pi.t)

Homework Equations

The book I'm using states that if the periods are commensurable ie if there exist 2 integers n1 and n2 such that n1T1 = n2T2 then the period is given by T= n1T1 = n2T2 where n1 and n2 are the smallest possible integers satisfying these conditions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the formula but the answer I got for a was off and part b should not have a period at all since it is not commensurable. Could anyone help me out please? It would also be really helpful if you could explain how to look at such problems using complex exponentials or else provide me with a link to some material I can read.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Show your work, please. What are the periods of the sine and cosine functions in question A?

ehild

The period is given by the sine and cosine functions.

The angular frequency of the sine oscillations in part a is 12 pi and that of the cosine oscillations is 13 pi.

Thus T1 is 1/6 sec and T2 is 2/13 sec.

Thus the period of combined oscillations T = 12*1/6=13*2/13=2sec

Thus frequency should be 0.5 hz. But the answer given is 6.25 hz.

Similarly in part b the ratio of the Time periods is irrational. Hence they are not commensurable and do not give rise to periodic motion.

1. What is the meaning of oscillation frequency?

Oscillation frequency refers to the rate at which an object or system completes one full cycle of movement. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is directly related to the period of oscillation, which is the time it takes to complete one full cycle.

2. How do you calculate the oscillation frequency of a system?

The oscillation frequency of a system can be calculated by dividing the number of cycles completed by the total time it took to complete those cycles. It can also be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the period, which is the time it takes to complete one full cycle.

3. What happens when two oscillations of different frequencies are superimposed?

When two oscillations of different frequencies are superimposed, the resulting wave will have a new frequency that is equal to the difference between the two original frequencies. This is known as the beat frequency.

4. How does the amplitude of the superimposed oscillations affect the beat frequency?

The amplitude of the superimposed oscillations does not affect the beat frequency. The beat frequency is solely determined by the difference in frequency between the two original oscillations.

5. Can the oscillation frequency of a system change over time?

Yes, the oscillation frequency of a system can change over time due to external factors such as changes in the environment or internal factors such as wear and tear. However, in an ideal system with no external or internal influences, the oscillation frequency will remain constant.