Oscillation of a Rod: Finding Frequency

In summary, the homework statement asks for the frequency of a small angle displacement of a uniform rod. The problem statement is unclear, so translation may be needed. The equation for a point particle is used to solve for the frequency. The rod is always at a right angle with the string, and there is a torque on the massless rod.
Fibo112

Homework Statement

As in picture b) a uniform rod is displaced by a small angle a, the question is to find its frequency.
(small angle approximations are allowed)

Homework Equations

Mtotal*a c.o.m=Fext

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure the only relevant external force is the komponent of gravity tangential to the center of masses path. This force is equal to mgsin(a) a beeing the angle of displacement from the vertical(of the center of mass). This seems to produce the standard differential equation that I would have for a point particle. Where is my mistake? My solution is not correct

Attachments

• Physik_f13_Aufg-7[1].png
    Physik_f13_Aufg-7[1].png
    22.4 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Fibo,

Is this for part (a) of the illegible exercise or for part (b) ?

BvU said:
Hi Fibo,

Is this for part (a) of the illegible exercise or for part (b) ?
Part b

Fibo112 said:
is displaced by a small angle a
Exactly how it is displaced is important. The diagram is not completely clear to me, so you may need to translate more of the text.
It looks like the rod is suspended horizontally at its midpoint, then the string is displaced from the vertical but in the plane containing both string and rod. Right so far?
When displaced, is the rod still horizontal, or is it still at right angles to the string? (Not saying this matters, just asking.)

In part (a) the rod only moves as a point mass. Not so in part (b)

The rod is always at a right angle with the string( it can be considered rigid with no mass in the string).

Fibo112 said:
The rod is always at a right angle with the string( it can be considered rigid with no mass in the string).
Just realized the question I should have asked: is it a string or is it a massless rod to which the massive rod is fixed at a right angle?

haruspex said:
Just realized the question I should have asked: is it a string or is it a massless rod to which the massive rod is fixed at a right angle?
The latter.

Fibo112 said:
The latter.
Ok, so what is its moment of inertia about the axis?

Fibo, if you post a clear problem statement for (b), Haru will instantly see what's going on ... :rolleyes:
The picture is unsharp and in a strange Sprache

Ah, we're on track

1/12mL^2+ mh^2 h beeing the length of the massless rod and L the length of the massive rod

Fibo112 said:
1/12mL^2+ mh^2 h beeing the length of the massless rod and L the length of the massive rod
Right, so is the differential equation exactly the same as for case a)?

No. I think I am starting to get it. I assumed since the massless rod was connected to the center of the massive rod it could only exert a force there, this seems to not be the case though?

Fibo112 said:
No. I think I am starting to get it. I assumed since the massless rod was connected to the center of the massive rod it could only exert a force there, this seems to not be the case though?
There will also be a torque.

Yes, so the massless rod must apply a force at a point other than the center right?

Fibo112 said:
Yes, so the massless rod must apply a force at a point other than the center right?
No, it applies a force and a torque at the centre.
Ok, in the real world you cannot apply a torque at a point. The connection between the two rods would have to have some small width, but we don't care about that - just treat it as a torque.

Likes BvU
But if the force is applied at the center where does the angular momentum of the massive rod about its C.o.m comd from?

Fibo112 said:
But if the force is applied at the center where does the angular momentum of the massive rod about its C.o.m comd from?
It's easier to work in terms of moment of inertia and torque about the axis of rotation. What is that torque?

It will be mghsin(a), a being the angle with the vertical. But where does the massive rods angular momentum about its c.o.m come if the massless rods force acts on its center?

Fibo112 said:
It will be mghsin(a), a being the angle with the vertical. But where does the massive rods angular momentum about its c.o.m come if the massless rods force acts on its center?
As I posted, you can treat the two rods as a single system. You have a MoI and a torque for that system, producing an angular acceleration.
But to answer you question (if I understand it), the rotational inertia of the massive rod generates a torque on the massless rod, slowing its angular movement.

haruspex said:
As I posted, you can treat the two rods as a single system. You have a MoI and a torque for that system, producing an angular acceleration.
But to answer you question (if I understand it), the rotational inertia of the massive rod generates a torque on the massless rod, slowing its angular movement.
But what is causing the torque on the massive rod about its center of mass?

Fibo112 said:
But what is causing the torque on the massive rod about its center of mass?
Action and reaction.
If it were freely jointed, the massive rod would not change orientation. It would swing as though a point mass. The angle between the rods would keep changing.
Making it a rigid joint means the change of angle is resisted. That creates a torque one way on the massive rod and the opposite way on the massless rod.

Ok, I think I understand it now. Just to confirm the massless rod will exert some force that is not exactly at the center of the massive rod?

Fibo112 said:
Ok, I think I understand it now. Just to confirm the massless rod will exert some force that is not exactly at the center of the massive rod?
You can think of it that way, or as a force at the centre plus a torque about the centre.

Ok thanks

Related to Oscillation of a Rod: Finding Frequency

1. What is the purpose of studying oscillation of a rod?

The purpose of studying oscillation of a rod is to understand the behavior and characteristics of a rod when it is subjected to oscillatory motion. This knowledge can then be applied to various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology.

2. How is the frequency of oscillation of a rod determined?

The frequency of oscillation of a rod can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the rod to complete one full cycle of oscillation. This can be done by using a stopwatch and counting the number of oscillations in a given time period, then dividing by the time to get the frequency.

3. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation of a rod?

The frequency of oscillation of a rod can be affected by several factors such as the length and mass of the rod, the material it is made of, and the amplitude of the oscillation. Other external factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the frequency.

4. How does the frequency of oscillation change with different lengths of a rod?

The frequency of oscillation is inversely proportional to the length of the rod. This means that as the length of the rod increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as the "length-frequency" relationship.

5. Can the frequency of oscillation of a rod be changed?

Yes, the frequency of oscillation of a rod can be changed by altering the factors that affect it such as the length, mass, and amplitude. For example, increasing the amplitude of the oscillation will result in an increase in frequency. Additionally, the use of external forces such as a pendulum can also change the frequency of oscillation.