Oscillation Problem. Advice need please

In summary, the conversation discusses an oscillation problem involving an object of unknown mass on an unstretched spring. The equation for period of oscillation is provided, and the principle of conservation of energy is used to find a relationship between mass and spring constant. The conversation ends with advice to start working on problems earlier in the morning for better understanding.
Seiya
Oscillation Problem. Advice need please :)

An object of unknown mass is hung on the end of an unstretched spring and is released from rest. If the object falls 4.27 cm before first coming to rest, find the period of the motion.

All i can figure out is that the maximum amplitude is a given and ocurrs when cos of (wt) is 1

from this i could know that v = -Aw if i had a value for time... right now I am really confused, any advice would be really helpful, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for period of oscillation is [tex]T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/tex].

The information given let's you find a relationship between the mass and the spring constant. By the principle of conservation of energy:

PE1 + KE1 = PE2 + KE2

KE1 = 0 as the mass was hung at rest. PE1 = PEspring1 + PEgrav1: you can consider the h to be zero here, then both are zero as well.

Would you like to try the energy analysis at point 2, when it is at the bottom and the string is maximally stretched at 4.27 cm?

Thanks i really got to start doing this problems earlier in the morning so i can think broader ;p

energy at the bottom:

-mgx+1/2w^2mx^2

conservation of energy

0 = PEbottom

T= 2piw

done

thank you

1. What is an oscillation problem?

An oscillation problem is a type of physical or mathematical problem where a system exhibits repeated back-and-forth movement or variation around a central point or equilibrium.

2. What causes an oscillation problem?

Oscillation problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces, internal dynamics, or feedback loops within a system. They can also arise as a natural consequence of certain physical laws or equations.

3. How is an oscillation problem solved?

The solution to an oscillation problem depends on the specific details of the system and the governing equations. In general, it involves finding the equilibrium point(s) of the system and analyzing the stability of those points. Various techniques such as linearization, perturbation methods, and numerical simulations can also be used to find solutions.

4. What are some common real-world examples of oscillation problems?

Oscillation problems are prevalent in many fields, including physics, engineering, biology, and economics. Some common examples include pendulum motion, electrical circuits, population dynamics, and stock market fluctuations.

5. What advice do you have for approaching an oscillation problem?

When faced with an oscillation problem, it is important to first identify the key variables and equations involved. Then, try to simplify the problem by making assumptions or using approximations. It can also be helpful to visualize the system and its behavior through diagrams or graphs. If possible, seek guidance from experts or use computational tools to aid in the analysis and solution process.