Oscillation question - vibration topic

In summary, the book is asking me to prove that ξ = 1 corresponds with the smallest value of c such that no oscillation occurs. I'm not even sure I understand how you can tell there is no oscillation from the characteristic equation alone. Well at the very least you'll have to give us some context. Because now it's like asking: "I have a car and the mechanic told me to polish the round part."
ko_kidd
oscillation question -- vibration topic

Book is asking me to prove that ξ = 1 corresponds with the smallest value of c such that no oscillation occurs.

Says let λ = -b (b is a positive number)

and that's all I'm given.

I'm not even sure I understand how you can tell there is no oscillation from the characteristic equation alone.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well at the very least you'll have to give us some context. Because now it's like asking: "I have a car and the mechanic told me to polish the round part."

What is ξ, what is c, what is λ and what oscillation are we talking about?

Please post the entire question and any relevant equations. Physicists tend to re-use letters over and over, so if you don't say what they mean we can't help you.

single degree of freedom systems

assuming you start with mx'' + cx' + kx = 0

where '' stands for the dots above x

the solution to that equation would be λ^2 + (c/m)*λ + k/m = 0

the characteristic equation

c --> constant of proportionality
λ --> root of the equation from the solution format x = Aeλt
ζ --> damping ratio, in this case 1

(meant to say zeta)

So the border case between oscillation and no oscillation is exactly that where the two roots of the characteristic equation are equal. In that case, the two independent solutions are not [itex]e^{\lambda_1 t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{\lambda_2 t}[/itex] (with [itex]\lambda_{1,2}[/itex] the two roots of the equation, so you'd have [itex]\lambda_1 = \lambda_2[/itex]), but you'd have to take [itex]e^{\lambda t}, t e^{\lambda t}[/itex] (you can check that). So the general solution will become [tex]x(t) = (A + B t) e^{-\lambda t}[/tex] which you can see is exponentially damped. This case is called critical damping. Below the critical damping, you will have something like [tex]A e^{-\omega_1 t} + B^{-\omega_2 t}[/tex] where [itex]\omega_{1,2}[/tex] are two positive real numbers and the system is called over-damped. Above the critical damping, the solutions will be complex and you can use Eulers identity to rewrite the exponentials into sines and cosines, which shows you that there is oscillation.

Also check out the Wikipedia page linked to by MechEngineer, it has some clarifying graphs.

1. What is an oscillation?

An oscillation is a repetitive motion or movement around a central point or equilibrium. It can be described as a back and forth movement, similar to a pendulum swinging.

2. What causes oscillations?

Oscillations are caused by a restoring force, which is a force that pulls an object back towards its equilibrium position after it has been displaced. This force can come from gravity, elasticity, or other physical properties.

3. What is the difference between oscillation and vibration?

Oscillation and vibration are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Oscillation refers to a back and forth movement, while vibration is a rapid oscillation or back and forth movement.

4. How are oscillations measured?

Oscillations are typically measured using frequency, period, and amplitude. Frequency is the number of oscillations per unit of time, period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, and amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position.

5. What are some real-life examples of oscillations?

Some common examples of oscillations include pendulums, springs, sound waves, and vibrations in musical instruments. Other examples include the motion of a swing, the movement of a washing machine, and the vibrations of a guitar string.