Osmotic Pressure Help Homework A&B | Solve Now

• Thread starter thercias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: This is correct.In summary, the conversation discussed the process of creating artificial blood cells using pure lipid bilayers and hemoglobin. It was mentioned that transferring the cells into a 1 mM salt solution prevents them from bursting, but increasing the salt concentration to 2 mM would not be beneficial. Later, it was suggested that using glucose instead of salt would be a better option, with a concentration of twice as much as the salt solution needed to achieve the same effect due to the different Van 't Hoff factors.
thercias

Homework Statement

t[/B]
You are trying to make artifiial blood cells. You have managed to get pure lipid bilayers to form spherical bags of radius 10um, filled with hemoglobin. The first time you did this, you transferred the "cells" into pure water and they promptly burst, spilling the contents. Eventually you found that transferring them into 1 mM (one mili molarity) of salt solution prevents bursting, leaving the "cells" spherical and full of hemoglobin and water.
a) If 1 mM is good, then would 2 mM be twice as good? What happens when you try this?
b) Later you decide that you don't want salt outside because it makes your solution electrically conducting. How many moles per liter of glucose should you use instead?

Homework Equations

p = cK(b)T
c = n/V
n = m/molar mass

The Attempt at a Solution

So for A, since 1 mM made the solution isotonic, making the concentration of the solution higher would make the water from the cells go into the solution, shrivelling the cells. So if you increase to 2 mM, then it would not be a good idea.

For B, I'm kind of confused. the Van't hoff relation formula is p(equil) = cK(b)T. This pressure is necessary for keeping the integrity of the cell. So when c = 1mM for the saline solution, it was able to achieve this integrity.
p = 1mM*c*k(b)T

So wouldn't this also work for glucose, keeping the concentration c =1 mM concentration making the pressure the same? I feel like I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually you can't solve the problem without knowing the identity of the salt (I suppose you are expected to assume NaCl, but it doesn't have to be correct).

I am not sure you use the correct formula for the osmotic pressure (or at least I don't I understand meaning of the symbols). Please check the formula and name the symbols.

Van 't Hoff is definitely a name that is important here.

yes, they are talking about sodium chloride. And what do you mean about the correct formula? I'm using Osmotic pressure = concentration(number density of solute molecules) * Boltzmann constant * temperature. What formula am i supposed to use?

OK, I am used to the version with gas constant of molar concentration, but these are equivalent. You put Boltzmann constant once as K(b) and once as k(b), while it is typically marked as kB, and you used c for concentration (not explaining what kind of concentration it is, so I assumed it is the most popular molarity), don't be surprised I couldn't understand what you mean.

Concentration of "solute molecules" and "concentration of salt" are two different things. Google for the "Van 't Hoff factor".

Ok, so I googled it. the van't hoff factor of glucose is 1. the van't hoff factor of nacl is 2.
does this mean glucose will have half the concentration as nacl?

edit:

osmotic pressure = (van hoff factor) * c * Boltzmann constant * temperature
for glucose, if the van't hoff factor is half of the salt van't hoff, then the concentration would need to be twice as much as nacl for it to equalize. is this right?

Last edited:
thercias said:
for glucose, if the van't hoff factor is half of the salt van't hoff, then the concentration would need to be twice as much as nacl for it to equalize. is this right?

Yes.

Related to Osmotic Pressure Help Homework A&B | Solve Now

1. What is osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is the pressure that must be applied to a solution to prevent the inward flow of water across a semipermeable membrane. It is a measure of the concentration of solute particles in a solution.

2. How is osmotic pressure calculated?

Osmotic pressure can be calculated using the equation π = iMRT, where π is the osmotic pressure, i is the van't Hoff factor, M is the molar concentration of the solute, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What factors affect osmotic pressure?

Osmotic pressure is affected by the concentration of solute particles, temperature, and the type of semipermeable membrane. Pressure and volume also play a role in osmotic pressure, as changes in these parameters can affect the concentration of solute particles.

4. How is osmotic pressure related to osmosis?

Osmotic pressure is the driving force for osmosis, which is the movement of water molecules across a semipermeable membrane from an area of low solute concentration to an area of high solute concentration. The higher the osmotic pressure, the greater the force for water to move through the membrane.

5. How is osmotic pressure used in everyday life?

Osmotic pressure plays a crucial role in maintaining the balance of fluids in living organisms. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as water purification and food preservation. In addition, osmotic pressure is important in medical applications, such as intravenous therapy and kidney function tests.