Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,450 replies · 334K views
M51 is directly overhead now- getting some great viewing. This is the central 1:1 crop from a 3X dithered stack, using images with a star FWHM < 3.6 pixels using the 400/2.8 wide open, 13 second exposures, ISO 800. Total time = 34 min. It's still noisy, but that's ok given the small number of frames.

3X_34m_zpsluocgtpq.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and OmCheeto
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This part of the sky borders Virgo and Coma Berenices, in this image there are 7 Messier objects and approximately 100 NGC and IC objects visible:

Virgo_5_2h_13m_zps3vwnwdlq.jpg


This is the central 60% of the frame (400mm field of view), 2h 15m total acquisition time. I also have two neighboring fields of view that, when stitched, provide an 8 x 11 degree field of view, comprising 13 Messier objects and hundreds of NGC/IC objects.

This part of the sky is moving out of my viewing area, next up is the great cluster in Hercules...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, DennisN, Borg and 1 other person
GRAIL's Gravity Map of the Moon
"This image shows the variations in the lunar gravity field as measured by NASA's Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory (GRAIL) during the primary mapping mission from March to May 2012. Very precise microwave measurements between two spacecraft , named Ebb and Flow, were used to map gravity with high precision and high spatial resolution. The field shown resolves blocks on the surface of about 12 miles (20 kilometers) and measurements are three to five orders of magnitude improved over previous data. Red corresponds to mass excesses and blue corresponds to mass deficiencies. The map shows more small-scale detail on the far side of the moon compared to the nearside because the far side has many more small craters."
Source: http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/galleries/grails-gravity-map-of-the-moon

GravityMapMoonGRAIL_732X520.jpg
 
DennisN said:
Source: http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/galleries/grails-gravity-map-of-the-moon
Red corresponds to mass excesses and blue corresponds to mass deficiencies. The map shows more small-scale detail on the far side of the moon compared to the nearside because the far side has many more small craters.
How does this compare to a visual image? Do the spots correspond to different kinds of crater impacts (heavy object left behind versus no object left in the hole)?
 
berkeman said:
How does this compare to a visual image? Do the spots correspond to different kinds of crater impacts (heavy object left behind versus no object left in the hole)?
Good question... sadly I don't know. I don't even know how the far side of the Moon looks like, so I'll go check on the net now... :smile:
 
A nice view of NZ :ok:
WEB_zealand_iss042e178671_lrg.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, davenn, DennisN and 1 other person
davenn said:
my homeland :smile:
Yup, It's a great shot of the South Island. I believe your old neighborhood is in this one if I'm not mistaken.
 
1oldman2 said:
Yup, It's a great shot of the South Island. I believe your old neighborhood is in this one if I'm not mistaken.

just off the frame a bit beyond the head of the arrow :smile:

upload_2017-6-9_10-59-17.png
 
Mimas over Saturn:
(Source: http://phys.org/news/2017-06-image-mimas-saturn-north-pole.html)

http://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/csz/news/800/2017/2-imagesaturns.jpgTo @Andy Resnick and others:
Andy Resnick said:
'Focus stacking' is a little different than 'astrophotography stacking'. For focus stacking, I use CombineZP (also free) It's a little tricky and I generally don't get 'awesome' results, but it's better than nothing. Let me know if you find something better...
Andy, I've stumbled upon two links I'd like to share:

Focus stacking (with Photoshop):
Photoshop Playbook: How to Blend Multiple Images with Different Depths of Field (youtube)

Noise reduction stacking
(a method with Photoshop and some other software, I doubt it's better than DeepSkyStacker, but anyway):
A Look at Reducing Noise in Photographs Using Median Blending

We have very cloudy skies over here at the moment, and no noise reduction method will fix that... I am waiting for clear skies...
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick and 1oldman2
I figure this thread has room for one more awesome shot of a familiar planet.:smile:
cassini-saturn.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: UsableThought, OmCheeto, Borg and 1 other person
wonderful photo of red sprites
I have yet to photo these, still on my bucket list :smile:

I have a stormchaser friend that photo's them quite often ... here's an example ...

19466710_1838278026189846_4107161889285314869_o.jpg


Marko Korošec shared Weather-Photos.NET's photo.
What more to ask after a great chase day? Red sprites, of course! Been chasing all day this past Sunday and when returning back I stopped at some elevated spot to shoot some TLE over quite distant MCS cluster in N Serbia. Got this family of pretty bright red sprites above it. June 25th, 2017, SW Slovenia.
cheers
Dave
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and OmCheeto
I agree, those things are amazing to look at. I wonder, without video, would anyone ever get lucky enough to photo them? seems like even on "burst" setting a still camera shot would be extremely long odds of recording them. I notice there seems to be many more Sprite images out there than the Blue Jets, are the Sprites more common ?.
 
1oldman2 said:
I figure this thread has room for one more awesome shot of a familiar planet.:smile:
View attachment 206234
I devoted an entire thread to that image about 6 years ago. I think I looked at it too closely.
Of course, that was before Marcus got me hooked on Ceres, so some of the things I said appear to be incorrect.
It is a composite, just not what I would have called "composite" back then.
 
An actual photo from Saturn's rings, taken by Cassini (only cleaned to remove cosmic rays and detector noise). Source

20170630_N00282563_cleaned_f840.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sid, UsableThought, 1oldman2 and 1 other person
Ring Nebula (M57): first image is full frame (800/5.6), 1h 46m exposure, second is a 1:1 crop.

1h_44m.TIF%20RGB_zpsnhnqnzf3.jpg


3X_17m_zpsddjb31ng.jpg


Lots of objects are in view now (for me): Jupiter, Saturn and Pluto are all favorably positioned and Cygnus is coming into view. One more clear night to see if I can capture Pluto...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Borg, OmCheeto and 1 other person
1oldman2 said:
I agree, those things are amazing to look at. I wonder, without video, would anyone ever get lucky enough to photo them?

yeah, all the time as with that photo I posted above

the usual way is just to do a string of timed exposures, as Marko did
 
Back from vacation, busy doing class prep. It was cloudy every night, so I ended up making timelapse 'videos', here's two of them: one frame was acquired every minute, starting around 6pm and going until I passed out around 2am

A good one, managed to hold a constant exposure during an illumination change of 24 stops:


The best one- see the (near) full moonrise, a thunderstorm, lots of activity.


Enjoy!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, OmCheeto and UsableThought
A few images of the starfield in Cygnus: the first one is about 3 fields of view at 400mm (full frame) covering most of the North American nebula and the second is the veil nebula, nearly filling a single field of view (at 400mm). The density of stars is really striking.

ttom_corrected_filtered%20-%20dark%20spot%20top_corrected_filtered_fused.tif%20RGB-1_zpswz8wnncd.jpg


5h_6m_filtered_zpskpcswuya.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, 1oldman2, Borg and 4 others
Andy Resnick said:
A few images of the starfield in Cygnus: the first one is about 3 fields of view at 400mm (full frame) covering most of the North American nebula and the second is the veil nebula, nearly filling a single field of view (at 400mm). The density of stars is really striking.
very cool images mate, well done :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Andy Resnick
A cool shot of Jupiter on NASA's image of the day.
pia21966-1041.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, OmCheeto and davenn