What is the input voltage for the second stage in a 2-stage amplifier?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gain of a 2 stage amplifier using the equation A = A1 x A2 x (rin2 / (rin2 + ro1)). The factor 'p' is introduced to account for the loading of the stages, which is explained using the concept of a voltage divider. The input voltage of the second stage is not equal to the input voltage of the first stage multiplied by A1, but rather it is equal to Vin x A1 x Rin/(Rout + Rin) due to the presence of a voltage divider in the circuit.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hello all. I am currently trying to find the gain of a 2 stage amp. According to some notes I have, it is:

A = A1 x A2 x (rin2 / (rin2 + ro1))
Where
A1 = gain of first stage
A2 = gain of second stage
rin2 = input resistance of second stage
ro1 = output resistance of first stage

Let p = (rin2 / (rin2 + ro1)) so that A = A1 x A2 x p

I understand conceptually why 'p' comes in. It is due to loading of the stages together (right?).
But I don't understand how to get that factor ('p') mathematically. Please explain. Thank you.

PS: If a schematic of the amplifier is needed please let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In electronic circuits, we always hooking the output of something (output of a amplifier, output of a voltage input source...) to the input of something else (load resistor, input stage of a next amplifier...).
After we draw this in a simplified schematics we see our old friend the voltage divider.

95_1246404388_thumb.png

p = Voltage divider equation

So the second stage input voltage is not equal to

Vin2 = Vin x A1 because we have a voltage divider in the circuit, so the second stage input voltage is equal to.

Vin2 = Vin x A1 x Rin/(Rout + Rin)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of output gain in a 2-stage amplifier?

The output gain in a 2-stage amplifier is the amount of amplification that occurs between the input signal and the final output. It helps to increase the strength of the signal and ensure that it can drive the desired output device, such as a speaker or motor.

2. How is the output gain calculated in a 2-stage amplifier?

The output gain is calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This value is typically expressed in decibels (dB) and is a measure of the amplification or attenuation that occurs in the signal.

3. What factors can affect the output gain of a 2-stage amplifier?

There are several factors that can affect the output gain of a 2-stage amplifier, including the type and quality of the components used, the input signal strength, the power supply voltage, and the overall design and layout of the amplifier circuit.

4. How does the output gain of a 2-stage amplifier impact the overall performance?

The output gain of a 2-stage amplifier directly affects the overall performance by determining the strength and quality of the output signal. A higher output gain can result in a louder and clearer sound, while a lower output gain may result in a weaker and more distorted sound.

5. Can the output gain of a 2-stage amplifier be adjusted?

Yes, the output gain of a 2-stage amplifier can be adjusted by changing the values of the components, such as resistors and capacitors, in the circuit. It can also be adjusted through the use of external controls, such as a potentiometer or volume knob.