1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Output of a half wave rectifier

1. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:07 PM #1
    In a half wave rectifier only a single diode is present. One end of the secondary wire of the transistor is connected to the p side of diode while the other to the load resistor. The n side is connected to the load resistor. When the diode is reverse biased no current passes through it. But current does pass through the other wire of the secondary which eventually meets the load transistor. So wouldn't the output in this case be an ac current?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:18 PM #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

just a few wrong words in there :wink:

"One end of the secondary wire of the transistor is connected......." should be One end of the secondary wire of the transformer is connected.......

"But current does pass through the other wire of the secondary which eventually meets the load transistor."

should be ..... But current does pass through the other wire of the secondary which eventually meets the load resistor.

well it's a pulsed AC .... have you looked online to see what the waveform looks like ?

Voltage-Supply-in-Half-Wave-Transformer.jpg

the top is the full AC voltage on the secondary side of the transformer
    the lower is the half wave rectified voltage across the load resistor after the diode

half-wave rectification in general uses larger value smoothing capacitors to help keep the voltage from sagging (dropping) so much between each pulse.

half-wave rectification is also generally only used where the equipment isn't sensitive to lots of AC ripple voltage

Dave

4. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:23 PM #3
    thanks for correcting me... m new at this so i mixed up all the terms... i know that the graph of the half wave rectifier looks that way.... but my point is the diode less wire of the secondary will conduct current no matter what happens... so why didnt the graph consider thqt

5. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:26 PM #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no it doesn't, there is only current flowing in one direction, and that is the 1/2 cycle when the diode is conducting
    NO current is flowing during the other 1/2 cycle

6. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:27 PM #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And just where is that current going to come from?

7. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:27 PM #6
    No current is flowing through the DIODE. But current should flow from the other wire

8. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:28 PM #7
    from the secondary transformer due to mutual induction

9. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:36 PM #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no ... why would you say that ? there is a hole in the circuit and for current to flow, there needs to be a complete circuit

no :smile:

Dave

10. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:37 PM #9
    why is there a hole in the circuit

11. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:43 PM #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you have already answered that yourself

because the diode is reversed biased and call it a hole in the circuit or maybe a closed door
    whichever description, no current is flowing through it in the other 1/2 cycle, therefore no current flows anywhere in the circuit during that 1/2 cycle

12. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM #11
    ohh... i got it... i was being so stupid

13. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:46 PM #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no, never say that of yourself .... never put yourself down like that :smile:
    it was just a small lack of understanding

Dave

14. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:48 PM #13
    but when the circuit is complete the diode wire has a pulsating current while the other wire has an ac current. Wouldnt that make things messy at the load resistor

15. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:53 PM #14

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

when the diode conducts ( and it conducts in ONE DIRECTION only), there is current flowing in one direction only. so the load resistor sees just that pulsed voltage across it

16. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:55 PM #15
    i mean the other wire.... during forward bias circuit is complete. Current naturally flows through the other wire

17. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:58 PM #16

cnh1995

Homework Helper

What "other" wire? Do you mean transformer primary?

18. Nov 14, 2017 at 9:59 PM #17
    no the other wire coming from the secondary and directly meeting the load transistor

19. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:05 PM #18

cnh1995

Homework Helper

There's no transistor. I assume you mean transformer again.
    This is the circuit we're talking about.
    images.png
    So what is your exact question here?

20. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:10 PM #19
    lets consider the wire connected to diode A and the wire connected to the load resistor B. When forward bias occurs then current flows through A and B. A due to the diode has an output current in the form of pulses. But B has no diode therefore the current would be ac through it. Both of them will pass through the load transistor. I am saying that the output would be quite messy then

21. Nov 14, 2017 at 10:22 PM #20

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no, you are still not quite understanding :smile:

look at cnh1995's circuit ....

images-png.png

and what I said in my previous post

during the positive 1/2 cycle, when the diode conducts, it ONLY CONDUCTS in one direction ( we will use conventional current flow), in the above circuit that is out of the top of the transformer secondary, where the red + is through the diode, through the load resistor through the bottom wire and back into the transformer

during the other 1/2 cycle (the negative 1/2) there is no conduction, the diode door is shut
    so current cannot flow into the bottom wire through the resistor and up to the diode.
    there has to be a complete circuit path for the current to flow

so again repeating what I said earlier, the load resistor ONLY sees current flowing through it in one direction
    and it see only pulses of voltage as the diode conducts for each positive 1/2 cycle

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted