Outrunning an Arrow? - Claire Needs Help w/ Physics Problem

• Thread starter gemini2904
  • Start date
In summary, Andrew Mason worked out that the speed of the arrow launch is 20ms-1. The speed the man can run is 7.0ms-1. The minimum angle above the horizontal at which the man must aim in order to outun the arrow is 5 degrees.
gemini2904

Homework Statement

Hi, From a previous question I have just worked out that the speed of the arrow launch is 20ms-1. The speed the mans can run is 7.0ms-1. Question, find the minimum angle above the horizontal at which the man must aim in order to outun the arrow. (you may assume the man is at rest when he fires the arrow and you may ignore the short times it takes him to accelerate from rest to his running speed).

Please help, I have been looking at this question for about a week now and I can't see for the life of me how you can possibly work this out without knowing the distance or anything else? I would be grateful if someone could please at least point me in the right direction. I'm doing a modular degree, 2nd year but this is my first physics course...ahhhhhh So please explain in detail, my maths is somewhat limited. I think I should have stuck to biology!

Many thanks,

Claire

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
gemini2904 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, From a previous question I have just worked out that the speed of the arrow launch is 20ms-1. The speed the mans can run is 7.0ms-1. Question, find the minimum angle above the horizontal at which the man must aim in order to outun the arrow. (you may assume the man is at rest when he fires the arrow and you may ignore the short times it takes him to accelerate from rest to his running speed).
What is the horizontal component of the arrow's velocity when its velocity is 20 m/s at an angle, alpha, above the horizontal?

AM

Hi,

Thanks Andrew, I'm still trying to digest what you said but thanks for replying.

Would Vox = Vo Cos theta and Voy = Vo sin theta be on the right track?

I worked out the distance the man's runs as 49m, is this right and is it really relevant. I'm not quite sure how or why I got that now, I'm starting to confuse myself now!

gemini2904 said:
Hi,

Thanks Andrew, I'm still trying to digest what you said but thanks for replying.

Would Vox = Vo Cos theta and Voy = Vo sin theta be on the right track?

I worked out the distance the man's runs as 49m, is this right and is it really relevant. I'm not quite sure how or why I got that now, I'm starting to confuse myself now!
So if Vo Cos theta were to be greater than the man's running speed, what would occur?

AM

Hi,

I got an answer of 5 degrees as the minimum angle, which seems very small. Is this right?
I used R = (Vo^2/g) sin 2theta

2theta = sin-1 (9.8 x 7.0)/20 = 9.9

divide by 2 to give theta = 5 degrees

Many thanks,
Claire

think about what andrew mason asked you...

if the runner only has an x-component of velocity, is the y-component of the arrow relevant?

It's really simpler than that.

Note that if he is faster than Vo*Cosθ as Andrew pointed out then you are done.

So if Cosθ ≤ 7/20

or if arcCos(7/20) ≤ θ

EDIT: Corrected egregious typo.

Last edited:
Hi,

Do you mean cos theta = 7.0/20 = 0.35
giving theta = 69.5 degrees ?

Which would be much simplier, not that I understand it any better, but here's hoping.

Many thanks,

Claire

gemini2904 said:
Hi,

Do you mean cos theta = 7.0/20 = 0.35
giving theta = 69.5 degrees ?

Which would be much simplier, not that I understand it any better, but here's hoping.

Many thanks,

Claire

Yes of course I do.

Sorry for the typo.

Hi,

Does that mean it's right?? ;)

I think I finally got it, at last! Thank you so much for all your help everybody

Claire

Cheers then.

Related to Outrunning an Arrow? - Claire Needs Help w/ Physics Problem

1. How fast do I have to run to outrun an arrow?

The speed at which you would need to run to outrun an arrow depends on the speed at which the arrow is traveling. The average speed of an arrow shot from a bow is around 150 miles per hour.

2. Can anyone outrun an arrow?

It is unlikely that anyone could physically outrun an arrow shot from a bow. Arrows travel at high speeds and humans are not capable of running at the same speed.

3. How far away do I need to be from the arrow to outrun it?

The distance at which you would need to be from an arrow to outrun it also depends on the speed at which the arrow is traveling. The farther away you are, the more time you have to react and run away from it.

4. Is it possible to outrun an arrow if it is shot from a gun?

No, it is not possible to outrun an arrow shot from a gun. Gunshot arrows travel at much higher velocities than arrows shot from a bow, making it even more difficult, if not impossible, to outrun them.

5. What factors contribute to being able to outrun an arrow?

The main factor that contributes to being able to outrun an arrow is the speed at which the arrow is traveling. Other factors such as distance, reaction time, and physical abilities also play a role.