Outward Flux of Vector Field F across Surface S

In summary, the outward flux of the vector field F = i-2j-2k across the surface S defined by z = 4-x2-y2 0≤z≤4 can be found by taking the double integral of F⋅ndσ where n = [-2x-2y]/|-2x-2y| and dσ = |-2x-2y|, or by using the Divergence Theorem and taking the divF, which will also give the answer of 0. However, it is important to note that the parametrized form should not be used when taking the double integral.
Differentiate1
Question: Find the outward flux of the vector field F = i-2j-2k across the surface S defined by z = 4-x2-y2 0≤z≤4

At first, I used the Divergence Theorem to solve this problem. I took the divF and got the answer of 0. By definition, integrating 0 three times will still equal 0. Thus, the answer I wrote down currently is 0.

Now there's also another way to find the outward flux, and that is by taking the double integral of Fn

n = [r_r X r_θ]/[|r_r X r_θ|]
dσ = |r_r Xr_θ|

I found r_r X r_θ here from another problem: http://i.imgur.com/UMj72Ub.png

Checking with WolframAlpha, I got this:
1st integration: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(-2r^2cos(theta)+4r^2sin(theta)-2r)+dr+from+0+to+2

2nd integration: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(-4/3)(-8sin(theta)+4cos(theta)+3)+from+0+to+2pi

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can explain why the answer using the Divergence theorem is not equal to the Outward Flux when taking the double integral.

Thanks,

Differentiate1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, figured out my mistake. I should've not used the parametrized form to take the double integral. I fixed this by making n = [-2x-2y]/|-2x-2y| and dσ = |-2x-2y| (I acquired these values from finding the gradient of z).

1. What is the definition of outward flux?

The outward flux of a vector field F across a surface S is the measure of the flow of the vector field through the surface in the outward direction. It represents the amount of the vector field that passes through the surface, taking into account both the magnitude and direction of the field at each point on the surface.

2. How is the outward flux calculated?

The outward flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field F and the unit normal vector to the surface S at each point, and then integrating this product over the surface. This can be represented mathematically as ∫∫S F · n dS, where n is the unit normal vector and dS is the differential area element on the surface.

3. What does a positive outward flux indicate?

A positive outward flux indicates that the vector field F is flowing outwards through the surface S. This means that the field is pointing in the same direction as the outward normal vector at each point on the surface. In other words, the field is pushing outwards from the surface.

4. What does a negative outward flux indicate?

A negative outward flux indicates that the vector field F is flowing inwards through the surface S. This means that the field is pointing in the opposite direction of the outward normal vector at each point on the surface. In other words, the field is pulling inwards towards the surface.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating outward flux?

Calculating outward flux has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to measure the flow of air through a ventilation system, the flow of water through a pipe, or the flow of electricity through a circuit. It is also used in fluid dynamics to study the movement of fluids in various systems, such as in weather patterns, ocean currents, and aerodynamics of airplanes.