Outward force on a tank of water.

In summary: You can either calculate the net force (net of the fluid on the inside and the air on the outside) or just calculate the local force per unit area.
PrestonBlake

Homework Statement

There's a 30 m high, 30 m diameter cylindrical metal tank used for storing water. The molasses has a density of 1000 kg/^3. If the pressure at the surface was equal to the air pressure outside the tank, find the force pushing outward on the sides of the tank.

Homework Equations

Surface area of a cylinder's sides: 2*Pi*r*h

The Attempt at a Solution

The pressure at a depth d in the water should be equal to 101325+1000*9.8*d (1 atmosphere plus the weight of the molasses above it). I tried integrating this from 0 to 30 and then multiplying it by the surface area but that didn't work. What should I have done?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PrestonBlake! :smile:

(molasses? :confused:)
PrestonBlake said:
… find the force pushing outward on the sides of the tank.

The pressure at a depth d in the water should be equal to 101325+1000*9.8*d (1 atmosphere plus the weight of the molasses above it). I tried integrating this from 0 to 30 and then multiplying it by the surface area …

(is it asking for the net force, or just the force from inside?)

should work …

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

It says the total outward force, which I take it means just the force from inside.

I integrate 101325+1000*9.8*d from 0 to 30 and get 7.44975*10^6, then I multiply by 2*Pi*15*30 and get 2.10637*10^10 which is wrong.

why are you integrating the pressure? you should be integrating the force

(i think you've counted the height twice :redface:)

tiny-tim said:
why are you integrating the pressure? you should be integrating the force

(i think you've counted the height twice :redface:)

I'm not that good at integrals, what should I be integrating?

PrestonBlake said:

Homework Statement

There's a 30 m high, 30 m diameter cylindrical metal tank used for storing water. The molasses has a density of 1000 kg/^3. If the pressure at the surface was equal to the air pressure outside the tank, find the force pushing outward on the sides of the tank.

Homework Equations

Surface area of a cylinder's sides: 2*Pi*r*h

The Attempt at a Solution

The pressure at a depth d in the water should be equal to 101325+1000*9.8*d (1 atmosphere plus the weight of the molasses above it). I tried integrating this from 0 to 30 and then multiplying it by the surface area but that didn't work. What should I have done?

This is a very poorly worded ambiguous question. If isn't clear whether it asks you to find the net force outward exerted by the combination of the fluid on the inside and the air on the outside, or just the force exerted by the fluid on the inside. Secondly, since the pressure loading by the fluid on the tank is cylindrically symmetric, the overall net force on the tank is zero. If they are not looking for the overall forces, but instead, the local forces, this is just the force per unit area exerted by the local pressure (either including just the fluid inside, or both the fluid inside and the air outside).

Chestermiller said:
This is a very poorly worded ambiguous question. If isn't clear whether it asks you to find the net force outward exerted by the combination of the fluid on the inside and the air on the outside, or just the force exerted by the fluid on the inside. Secondly, since the pressure loading by the fluid on the tank is cylindrically symmetric, the overall net force on the tank is zero. If they are not looking for the overall forces, but instead, the local forces, this is just the force per unit area exerted by the local pressure (either including just the fluid inside, or both the fluid inside and the air outside).

From what I understand, they mean the local forces.

1. What is the outward force on a tank of water?

The outward force on a tank of water is the force exerted by the water against the walls of the tank. This force is caused by the weight of the water, and it increases as more water is added to the tank.

2. How is the outward force on a tank of water calculated?

The outward force on a tank of water can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the water in the tank, and A is the cross-sectional area of the tank.

3. Does the shape of the tank affect the outward force on the water?

Yes, the shape of the tank can affect the outward force on the water. A taller and narrower tank will have a greater outward force compared to a shorter and wider tank, assuming all other variables remain constant.

4. How does the depth of water in the tank affect the outward force?

The depth of water in the tank has a direct impact on the outward force. As the depth increases, the weight of the water also increases, resulting in a greater outward force on the tank walls.

5. Can the outward force on a tank of water cause structural damage?

Yes, if the outward force on a tank of water exceeds the structural strength of the tank, it can cause damage such as cracks or even failure of the tank. This is why it is important to properly calculate and account for the outward force when designing tanks for holding water.