Overcoming High School Slacking: Looking for a Path to a Physics Career

In summary: You could always repeat some of your HS classes and then apply to CC or uni. However, it is much more difficult to get into a good school if you don't have a great GPA. Community colleges will only admit students with a GPA of 2.5 or lower. If you don't have a great GPA, your only other option is to try to get into a good school and then try to get into CC or uni after you get into school. In summary, community college is a good option for someone who wants to pursue a physics career, but they need to focus on their academics to make sure they don't get into a tough school.
Waveparticle
Im currently a senior in high school and have fallen in love with the deepest mysteries of the universe. However, during my first three years of high school I slacked off, something i deeply regret. Now I am stuck with my poor GPA and I am wondering what steps i can take to pursue a career in physics? Is it possible to enroll in a community college and then transfer to a major university or is my previous lack of motivation going to stop me from pursuing my dreams?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the best course of action is to enroll in a community college now and gradually build your academic skills before transferring to a 4-year university. As a former slacker, I am qualified to tell you the transition to a rigorous and disciplined work ethic is very difficult but rewarding.

Attending a community college in the early stages will provide you with a somewhat smoother path towards academic success because focus #1 at community colleges is teaching and that means you will enjoy increased access to faculty, tutoring, and other academic resources that will assist you to develop a solid and disciplined work ethic.

You don't have to get into a great school to major in physics. You'll never get into a big name school but most state schools don't have very high standards. If you can't get in now, you definitely can if you go to a community college and do well.

Mathnomalous said:
Perhaps the best course of action is to enroll in a community college now and gradually build your academic skills before transferring to a 4-year university. As a former slacker, I am qualified to tell you the transition to a rigorous and disciplined work ethic is very difficult but rewarding.

Attending a community college in the early stages will provide you with a somewhat smoother path towards academic success because focus #1 at community colleges is teaching and that means you will enjoy increased access to faculty, tutoring, and other academic resources that will assist you to develop a solid and disciplined work ethic.

I second all of this. Trust me as well, since I was a former slacker too. Even if you don't go to that tough of a university, it's still university and you don't want to risk your college grades because they're permanent. Besides, you'll save money in a CC and you'll get through the annoying classes without trouble. In fact, this might suit you well, as the way I see it I can devote other time to physics that I like since I have lots of time even though I'm taking a maximum courseload (I go to a relatively easy university and will only consider transferring later on when the quality of education matters).

Couldn't you always repeat some of your HS classes and then apply to CC or uni?

Related to Overcoming High School Slacking: Looking for a Path to a Physics Career

1. How can I overcome my tendency to slack off in high school and pursue a career in physics?

To overcome high school slacking and pursue a career in physics, it is important to first understand the value of hard work and dedication. Make a plan and set achievable goals for yourself, and try to stay organized and motivated. Take advantage of resources such as study groups, tutoring, and online resources to help you improve your understanding of physics. Additionally, seek out opportunities for hands-on experiences, such as internships or research projects, to gain practical knowledge and skills in the field.

2. Is it too late for me to turn my grades around and pursue a physics career if I have slacked off in high school?

No, it is never too late to turn your grades around and pursue a physics career. While high school grades are important for college admissions, they are not the only factor that determines your success in the field of physics. Focus on improving your understanding of the subject, and consider taking additional courses or enrolling in a community college to strengthen your academic record. It is also important to showcase your passion and dedication for physics through extracurricular activities, research projects, and internships.

3. How can I balance my academic responsibilities and extracurricular activities while pursuing a physics career?

Balancing academic responsibilities and extracurricular activities can be challenging, but it is important to maintain a healthy balance in order to achieve success in both areas. Start by prioritizing your responsibilities and setting a realistic schedule for yourself. Make sure to prioritize your academic responsibilities and allocate enough time for studying and completing assignments. It is also important to limit the number of extracurricular activities you participate in to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

4. Will pursuing a career in physics be too difficult if I have struggled with math and science in high school?

Pursuing a career in physics can be challenging, but it is not impossible if you have struggled with math and science in high school. It is important to address any weaknesses you may have in these subjects and seek additional help if needed. Consider taking remedial courses or seeking tutoring to improve your understanding and skills. With hard work and determination, you can overcome any difficulties and succeed in the field of physics.

5. What steps can I take now to prepare for a physics career while still in high school?

There are several steps you can take while still in high school to prepare for a physics career. First, make sure to take challenging math and science courses to build a strong foundation in these subjects. You can also participate in science fairs, research projects, and internships to gain practical experience and knowledge in the field. Additionally, consider joining physics-related clubs or organizations to expand your network and learn from others who share your interests. It is also important to maintain a strong academic record and showcase your passion for physics through extracurricular activities and projects.