Paint thinner, oil, and water in a jar

In summary: If you stir the liquids at the same speed, then the vortex will be the same size no matter what the liquid is. However, if you stir one liquid faster than the other, the vortex will be deeper in the liquid that is being stirred faster.
BH20
If I was to put paint thinner, oil, and water in a jar (individually..not together)...and then stirred, which one would have the biggest vortex (depth)? I know I can do it, and I will for the other two, but don't have paint thinner.

and what type of intermolecular bonding is present in each of the liquids used in the experiment?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know about any bonding or anything, but the size of the vortex would depend of how long and how hard/fast you stir it, and the liquid you are stirring.

the liquid will have inertia and will want to keep on going around and around in circles, but the thicker the liquid and the less viscus, the faster it will slow down and stop itself. so, i would have to say that the thinest of the liquids will have the vortex of the greatest depth because you will be able to get the liquid going and keep it going faster around in a circle in the bottle for longer, so the vortex will remain deaper and longer, then it would if you were to stir something thick, like caremel or something like that.

that is just my way of thinking of it, maybe there is some chemical property that applies, I don't know, but this explanation seems to make sense to me.

As mrjeffy321 explained it too, I think it has something to do with viscosity. The less the viscosity of the liquid, the faster the whirlpool (vortex) will be. This is my reasoning, and it may be useful if you look for viscosity comparisons of these three liquids.

Viscosity is briefly the friction of liquid layers, and if it is higher, the liquid is said to be more viscous. So I don't think that it involves much of molecular-level bonding, but somewhat physical attributes like friction is more likely to be the reason for it.

Density would be determinant too, don´t forget that hidrostatic pressure=density*g*h

chem_tr said:
Viscosity is briefly the friction of liquid layers, and if it is higher, the liquid is said to be more viscous. So I don't think that it involves much of molecular-level bonding, but somewhat physical attributes like friction is more likely to be the reason for it.

Viscosity is a direct macroscopic consequence of intermolecular interactions. Remember for example that viscosymetric measures are used in polymers to experimentally obtain molecular mass averages.

Yes. I understand all of that.

Of course we have to stir it at the same speed or else the results will not be very accurate.

Obviously water would be the easiest to stir, but then I don't know if it be oil or paint thinner, since I don't have paint thinner. So, that was my question.

1. What happens when you mix paint thinner, oil, and water in a jar?

When you mix paint thinner, oil, and water in a jar, you will see that the oil and water do not mix. This is because oil is nonpolar and water is polar, so they do not have the same properties to mix together. The paint thinner, which is a solvent, helps to break down the oil molecules and allows them to mix with the water.

2. Can you separate the layers of paint thinner, oil, and water in a jar?

Yes, you can separate the layers of paint thinner, oil, and water in a jar through a process called decantation. This involves carefully pouring off the top layer (usually the paint thinner) into a separate container, leaving behind the remaining layers. However, it is important to note that the layers may mix again if left undisturbed for too long.

3. What is the purpose of using paint thinner in a jar with oil and water?

The purpose of using paint thinner in a jar with oil and water is to create a solution where the oil and water are more evenly dispersed. This can be useful in certain painting techniques, as well as for cleaning paint brushes and other tools.

4. Is it safe to mix paint thinner, oil, and water in a jar?

While it is generally safe to mix paint thinner, oil, and water in a jar, it is important to handle these substances with caution. Paint thinner can be toxic if ingested, and can also irritate the skin and eyes. It is important to use proper protective gear and handle these substances in a well-ventilated area.

5. Can you mix any type of oil with water and paint thinner in a jar?

No, not all types of oil can be mixed with water and paint thinner in a jar. As mentioned earlier, oil and water have different properties and will not mix together. It is best to use oils that are specifically designed to be mixed with water, such as water-mixable oils, for this experiment.