Painting hung by a wire suported by two nails

• Thread starter SteveM-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the tension in the wire supporting the 10 Kg painting is in the negative y direction and the magnitude of the force exerted on each nail is equal. The length of the wire does not affect the tension, only the angles do. The weight of the painting can be calculated using vertical components of the tension.
SteveM-
1. A 10 Kg painting is hung with a wire supported by two nails. The length of the wire is 1.3m. A) what is the tension in the wire? B) what is the magnitude of the force exerted on each nail by the wire (assume that the tension is the same in each part of the wire).

In the diagram you are given the distance between the far left and far right points on the painting to which the wire is attached: which is 1.2 m.

the wire is symetric and there is a distance of 0.4m on the x-axis between each point. I suppose a picture of the wire kind of represents a 2 dimensional pyramid with its top cut off and no bottom; if that helps.

2. Lots of vector manipulation...
3. This should be a pretty easy problem but I was having difficulty conceptualizing the force diagrams and the individual forces on each point, namely, how does the length of the wire relate to the tension as well as how do I distribute the total weight of the painting as a gravity force at each point. Once I know this it should just be a simple matter of vector addition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

SteveM- said:
1. A 10 Kg painting is hung with a wire supported by two nails. The length of the wire is 1.3m. A) what is the tension in the wire? B) what is the magnitude of the force exerted on each nail by the wire (assume that the tension is the same in each part of the wire).

In the diagram you are given the distance between the far left and far right points on the painting to which the wire is attached: which is 1.2 m.

the wire is symetric and there is a distance of 0.4m on the x-axis between each point. I suppose a picture of the wire kind of represents a 2 dimensional pyramid with its top cut off and no bottom; if that helps.

This should be a pretty easy problem but I was having difficulty conceptualizing the force diagrams and the individual forces on each point, namely, how does the length of the wire relate to the tension as well as how do I distribute the total weight of the painting as a gravity force at each point. Once I know this it should just be a simple matter of vector addition.

Hi SteveM-! Welcome to PF! :smile:

As you've probably worked out, the lengths of the wires don't matter, only the angles do.

Just work them out using geometry.

The weight of the painting is through its centre. Just use vertical components of the tension in the usual way. :wink:

Ok, thanks that makes sense. The answer I got basically said that all the tension in the wires is in the negative y direction because the x direction components are pointing opposite and cancel out. This problem is done.

Related to Painting hung by a wire suported by two nails

1. How do I know if the wire is strong enough to support the painting?

The wire used for hanging a painting should be able to hold at least twice the weight of the painting. This can be determined by checking the weight limit of the wire and comparing it to the weight of the painting. It is always better to use a thicker and stronger wire for heavier paintings.

2. How far apart should the two nails be placed?

The distance between the two nails will depend on the width of the painting. Ideally, the nails should be placed at least one-third of the way from the top of the painting. This will help distribute the weight evenly and prevent the painting from tilting.

3. Is it necessary to use two nails for hanging a painting?

Using two nails instead of one provides more stability and prevents the painting from shifting or falling. It also helps distribute the weight evenly and reduces the risk of damage to the wall or the painting itself. However, if the painting is small and lightweight, one nail may be sufficient.

4. What type of nails should be used for hanging a painting?

The type of nails used will depend on the type of wall the painting is being hung on. For drywall, use a nail that is at least 2 inches long with a wide head. For plaster or masonry walls, use a masonry or concrete nail. It is important to choose a nail that is strong enough to hold the weight of the painting.

5. How can I prevent the painting from shifting on the wire?

To prevent the painting from shifting on the wire, add a hook or eyelet to the back of the frame and loop the wire through it. This will keep the wire in place and prevent the painting from tilting. Additionally, you can add a small piece of adhesive putty or rubber bumpers to the bottom corners of the frame to keep it from moving.