Is Sarah Palin's Palm the Key to Her Speech Success?

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I mean I would have voted for McCain if it wasn't for her, but if she was alone in the race, I would have voted for Obama.In summary, the conversation discusses Sarah Palin's use of crib notes on her hand during a speech and the potential implications for her political future. It also touches on the term "tea-baggers" and Palin's tendency towards inconsistency. Participants in the conversation express disbelief and humor at the situation.
WhoWee said:
If he needed to read the speech from a teleprompter, how can you be so sure he didn't have notes?
Whowee, you have restated the same thing at least a half dozen times, time to move on. Please do not keep reposting the same thing over and over. Once is enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Teleprompters and notes are out in the open and visible, scribbles on the palm of your hand aren't meant to be noticed, nor are they something one would expect an adult would do, especially not one that is trying to make people think they are competant. IIRC, she tried to disparage Obama because he used a teleprompter. Teleprompters and speech notes are fine.

For the record, I believe Palin made a stupid mistake - given the amount of information scribbled on her palm, a simple 3x5 index card would have served her well.

As for Obama's reliance on the teleprompter - I find it curious.

turbo-1 said:
Apparently Palin's handlers didn't bother to explain to her that Obama made a policy speech about a fairly significant educational initiative IN A SCHOOL and that it was not directed at the 6th graders but at educators, politicians, and the general public.

?:confused:

WhoWee said:
So you agree the kids were props?

do you think standing in front of the White House is a prop?

What's you're hang up with the word, 'prop'?

is everything that you don't agree with propaganda to you?

"Theatrical property, a portable item used in performances; also applies to film and television productions"

or
"Propaganda, the dissemination of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of people. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prop

rewebster said:
"Theatrical property, a portable item used in performances; also applies to film and television productions"

If the kids were used as a back drop and he made a speech over their heads - they were "stage props" - is that better?

WhoWee said:
?:confused:
You shouldn't be puzzled. Palin was the one that made fun of Obama for using a teleprompter to speak to 6th graders. Either she didn't bother looking at the video herself (likely) or her handlers kept her ignorant of the target audience for the speech, so she'd use the "teleprompter to talk to 6th graders" as a low-brow zinger. It seemed to resonate with her target audience, so apparently they believed her claim. I doubt that even now, many of them have bothered to view the video of the policy speech.

http://vodpod.com/watch/2894572-race-to-the-top-for-education-reform

Last edited by a moderator:
WhoWee, if you like, love, whatever, Palin for who she is and how she presents herself--that's your choice...

if you stand up for her, that's your choice, too...

turbo-1 said:
... I don't know how the teabaggers think, but I want to vote for a candidate that is smarter and better-informed than I am, and smarter and better-informed than the opponent(s).
Yes, those are important qualities to me as well. As are a host of other issues, such as a disinclination to condescend to big groups of my fellow Americans.

rewebster said:
WhoWee, if you like, love, whatever, Palin for who she is and how she presents herself--that's your choice...

if you stand up for her, that's your choice, too...
That almost sounds like an argumentum ad hominem...

Hurkyl said:
That almost sounds like an argumentum ad hominem...

if a person defends a very unpopular figure, that person will have to be defending that very unpopular person from a lot of different aspects

rewebster said:
if a person defends a very unpopular figure, that person will have to be defending that very unpopular person from a lot of different aspects
If the people who are levying criticism feel the need to change the subject, I consider that a successful demonstration that the criticism was without merit.

Speaking of which...
turbo-1 said:
WhoWee said:
If he needed to read the speech from a teleprompter, how can you be so sure he didn't have notes?
What kind of notes? Do you think Obama has to resort to having pre-planned talking points for questions from 6th graders? Maybe his staff planted questions with the kids and Obama is too thick to be able to answer them without help. You Palin fans sure are reaching.

Apparently Palin's handlers didn't bother to explain to her that Obama made a policy speech about a fairly significant educational initiative IN A SCHOOL and that it was not directed at the 6th graders but at educators, politicians, and the general public.
Nicely dodged. :wink:

Obama addressed the Republicans a few weeks back (there was a thread on it). He answered all their questions without a teleprompter, cameras rolling, live video streaming the whole time...he aced it. Anyone who thinks the guy can't think on his feet should see the video.

What cracks me up is what was actually written on her hand...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00682/palin_2_682445a.jpg

...because there was something there crossed out. Dang it, there's a joke in there somewhere, but I've been studying QM all day and my mind isn't nimble enough right now to catch it...

Oh and if anyone still has their panties in a bunch about Obama using a teleprompter...you need to see this...and lighten up a bit...

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/obamas_home_teleprompter"

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Obama addressed the Republicans a few weeks back (there was a thread on it). He answered all their questions without a teleprompter, cameras rolling, live video streaming the whole time...he aced it. Anyone who thinks the guy can't think on his feet should see the video.

What cracks me up is what was actually written on her hand...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00682/palin_2_682445a.jpg

...because there was something there crossed out. Dang it, there's a joke in there somewhere, but I've been studying QM all day and my mind isn't nimble enough right now to catch it...

I can make out two of the words:
top "Energy"
third down "lift..."

Looks like motivational phrases to me.

drankin said:
I can make out two of the words:
top "Energy"
third down "lift..."

Looks like motivational phrases to me.

The third one is "lift America's spirits" I think...I'd have to check but I think she actually used that phrase when being interviewed.

lisab said:
The third one is "lift America's spirits" I think...I'd have to check but I think she actually used that phrase when being interviewed.
The words are
"Energy, Budget cuts (with "budget" crossed out), Tax, Lift American Spirits")
from the link in the OP.

Evo said:
from the link in the OP.

Ah thanks :smile: I'm apparently brain dead tonight.

Huh, I see
EasyOff
bread
tea
lites
asprin
spirits

Would anyone now like to attempt to "read" her palm?:rolleyes:

Ivan Seeking said:
Huh, I see
EasyOff
bread
tea
lites
asprin
spirits
Really? :confused:

(I only ask because I can't tell if you're being serious or if you're trying to insult her)

Hurkyl said:
Really? :confused:

(I only ask because I can't tell if you're being serious or if you're trying to insult her)

Ivan actually likes Palin - especially her "drill baby drill" comment.

Last edited:
Say Goodnight Gracie..."Goodnight Gracie".