Finding Current in a Parallel Circuit with Multiple Resistors

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: This can be generalized to any number of resistors in parallel: divide each resistance by the sum of all resistances, then multiply by the total current to get the current in that specific resistor.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current passing through each resistor in a parallel circuit using the equation I=v/r and the ratios between each resistor. It is mentioned that this method can be used for any number of resistors in parallel by dividing each resistance by the sum of all resistances and multiplying by the total current.
Ry122

Homework Statement

Im aware that you can find the current passing through each resistor in a parallel circuit by using the equation I=v/r but for homework i was asked how to find the current by using the ratios between each resistor.
eg.
---5ohms---- Resistor 1
- 20ohm - Resistor 2
- 10ohms - Resistor 3
----| - |-----
I=20AMPS
If only resistor 1 and 2 exists i can do it by dividing 5 by 5+20 and dividing
20 by 2+20. Inverting the results so 5/25 is for resistor 2 and vice versa then multiplying the results by 20amps. This gives the amps passing through each resistor.
I've no idea how to do it if there is 3 or more resistors.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
On the right track--we know that current is inversely proportional to resistance, so let's set up the eqn with a little i which is the current flowing thru the 20 ohm resistor: In fact, this makes use of the V=iR eqn at least implicitly, assuming 20 amps total passes thru the branch.

i+20/10*i+20/5*i=20A=7i. i=20/7, etc.

Now if 20 amps passes thru say the small resistor, and total current is unknown,

then (5/10)*20 will pass thru the 10 ohm and (5/20)*20 thru the 20 ohm.

In a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the different branches based on the resistance of each branch. To find the current through each resistor, you can use the following formula:

I1 = (V/R1) * (R2/(R1+R2)) * (R3/(R1+R2+R3)) * ... * (Rn/(R1+R2+...+Rn))

Where:
- I1 is the current through resistor 1
- V is the voltage across the parallel circuit
- R1, R2, R3, ... Rn are the resistances of each branch

This formula takes into account the ratios between each resistor, as you mentioned in your question. It works by first finding the current through the first resistor (V/R1), then multiplying it by the ratio of the resistance of the second resistor to the total resistance (R2/(R1+R2)). This process is repeated for each resistor, taking into account the ratios of all the resistors in the circuit.

For example, in your given circuit with 3 resistors, the formula would look like this:

I1 = (V/5) * (20/(5+20)) * (10/(5+20+10))

Simplifying this, we get:

I1 = (V/5) * (20/25) * (10/35)

I1 = (V/5) * (4/5) * (2/7)

I1 = (V/5) * (8/35)

So to find the current through resistor 1, we would multiply the voltage by 8/35. Similarly, we can find the current through the other resistors using the same formula. This method can be applied to circuits with any number of resistors.

1. How do I calculate the total resistance of a parallel circuit with multiple resistors?

To calculate the total resistance of a parallel circuit, you need to use the formula: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances. Once you have calculated the total resistance, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to find the current.

2. Can I use Kirchhoff's Laws to find the current in a parallel circuit with multiple resistors?

Yes, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws to find the current in a parallel circuit. Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction. This law can be used to find the current in each individual branch of a parallel circuit.

3. How does the current flow in a parallel circuit with multiple resistors?

In a parallel circuit, the current is split between the different branches based on the resistance of each branch. This means that the branch with the least resistance will have the most current flowing through it. The total current in the circuit is equal to the sum of the currents in each individual branch.

4. Can I use a multimeter to measure the current in a parallel circuit with multiple resistors?

Yes, you can use a multimeter to measure the current in a parallel circuit. To do this, you will need to set the multimeter to the current (amps) setting and place it in series with one of the branches of the circuit. This will give you the current in that specific branch, but you will need to repeat the process for each branch to find the total circuit current.

5. How do I determine the voltage drop across each resistor in a parallel circuit with multiple resistors?

To determine the voltage drop across each resistor, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR), where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. You will need to calculate the current in each branch using the total resistance and then use Ohm's Law to find the voltage drop across each resistor.