1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paralel circuits

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im aware that you can find the current passing through each resistor in a parallel circuit by using the equation I=v/r but for homework i was asked how to find the current by using the ratios between each resistor.
    ---5ohms---- Resistor 1
    - 20ohm - Resistor 2
    - 10ohms - Resistor 3
    ----| - |-----
    If only resistor 1 and 2 exists i can do it by dividing 5 by 5+20 and dividing
    20 by 2+20. Inverting the results so 5/25 is for resistor 2 and vice versa then multiplying the results by 20amps. This gives the amps passing through each resistor.
    I've no idea how to do it if there is 3 or more resistors.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2007 #2
    On the right track--we know that current is inversely proportional to resistance, so lets set up the eqn with a little i which is the current flowing thru the 20 ohm resistor: In fact, this makes use of the V=iR eqn at least implicitly, assuming 20 amps total passes thru the branch.

i+20/10*i+20/5*i=20A=7i. i=20/7, etc.

Now if 20 amps passes thru say the small resistor, and total current is unknown,

then (5/10)*20 will pass thru the 10 ohm and (5/20)*20 thru the 20 ohm.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?