Parallel LCs circuit Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of the Lagrangian for a system of three LC circuits in parallel. The correct formulation would involve taking into account the interactions between the circuits, which would involve cross-terms in the Lagrangian. Using a matrix representation can help express these coupling terms and properly account for the interactions between the circuits.
Goddar

Homework Statement

Hi, i have a quick question to see if I'm on the right track (I totally suck at electrical circuits since i never took a formal course so it might seem elementary to you.. anyway):

Three LC systems in parallel with different L and C values, nothing else. closed circuit.
First step in the problem is to formulate the Lagrangian and that's where i need a check, i'll be fine with the rest.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it correct to write for the system:
L =T+V=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\sum L_{i}\dot{q}^{2}_{i}+q^{2}_{i}/C_{i}[/itex]
With the constraint:
q[itex]_{1}[/itex]+q[itex]_{2}[/itex]+q[itex]_{3}[/itex]=0
??
It seems too simple to me and i think i should be dealing with cross-terms, so a hint would be greatly appreciated.. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, it looks like you are on the right track with your formulation of the Lagrangian. The Lagrangian for a system of three LC circuits in parallel would indeed be the sum of the kinetic and potential energies for each individual circuit. However, you also need to take into account the interactions between the circuits, which would involve cross-terms in the Lagrangian. These terms would arise from the coupling between the circuits through their shared voltage or current sources. Without these terms, your Lagrangian would only describe the individual circuits in isolation, and not their behavior as a whole.

To properly formulate the Lagrangian for this system, you may want to consider using a matrix representation, where the coupling terms can be expressed as elements in the matrix. This will allow you to properly account for the interactions between the circuits.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your problem! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. What is a Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian?

A Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that represents the total energy of a parallel LC circuit. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the inductor and the potential energy of the capacitor, as well as their interactions.

2. How is the Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian derived?

The Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian is derived using the principles of Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of systems. It involves considering the energies and forces acting on the components of the circuit and using the Lagrangian equations of motion to describe the system.

3. What is the significance of the Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian?

The Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian is significant because it allows us to analyze the behavior of parallel LC circuits in a more general and systematic way. It also helps us understand the relationship between the energy and motion of the components in the circuit.

4. How does the Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian relate to the resonance frequency of the circuit?

The Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian plays a crucial role in determining the resonance frequency of the circuit. At resonance, the energy of the system is at a maximum, and the Lagrangian equations show that the inductor and capacitor are exchanging energy at equal rates, resulting in a sustained oscillation.

5. Can the Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian be applied to other types of circuits?

Yes, the principles used to derive the Parallel LC circuit Lagrangian can be applied to other types of circuits, such as series LC circuits or RLC circuits. The resulting Lagrangian equations will differ, but the overall concept of analyzing the energy and motion of the circuit remains the same.