Parallel Translation in R^3 & S^2: Contradiction?

In summary, the author is looking at a closed curve in space, and has proved that parallel translation in T_p(S^2) is simply the reduction of parallel translation in T_p(R^3). However, he has a contradiction: parallel translation of the tangent vector (0,0,1) at the north pole in R^3 gives a constant vector field (0,0,1) which is not the parallel translation in S^2. The author is stumped as to what he did wrong.
Palindrom
I've been wrestling with this all day, and it's starting to drive me crazy; if you can help me out, please take just a few minutes to read and answer.:smile:

I'm looking at S^2 in R^3 (the two dimensional unit sphere in space), and at a large circle going through the north pole as my closed curve.

I've proved that parallel translation in T_p(S^2) is simply the reduction of parallel translation in T_p(R^3) [1]. I'll write how in a second, but my problem is that this gives me a stupid contradiction:

Let's look at the tangent vector (0,0,1) at the north pole. Parallel translation of that vector in R^3 along my curve gives me the constant vector field (0,0,1). But that can't be the parallel translation in S^2, seeing as this vector field has tangent vectors that aren't in T_p(S^2) (almost all of them, actually)!

Now, for the relatively easy proof (but obviously wrong) of [1]. Covariant derivative is the same in both, since an isometry phi respects the covariant derivative up to phi_*, and for phi=id, phi_*=id. Now if we look at parallel translation in S^2, since by the previous line it's also parallel in R^3, then by uniqueness it must be the parallel translation in R^3!

Am I going crazy? What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
parallel translation in S^2 is not the same as that in R^3. The parallel translate of a vector along a great circle is found simply by moving the vector along the great circle by the rotation about (0,0,0) with axis of rotation given by the line through (0,0,0) and perpendicular to the plane of the great circle.

I figured as much, but what's wrong with my 'proof'?

i think the problem lies in the very first line. I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. there is no isometry between S^2 and R^3 for obvious reasons. But the inclusion of S^2 into R^3 (which is the identity on S^2) is isometric. Is that the map you're talking about there?

That's the one. It is an isometry (in my book isometry doesn't mean onto), right?

So am I confusing something?

I'm starting to think maybe its * isn't the inclusion after all...

An isometry "between" A and B means an isometry that maps A one-to-one onto B. That's not what you have here. What you have is an "embedding" of S2 in R3.

HallsofIvy said:
An isometry "between" A and B means an isometry that maps A one-to-one onto B. That's not what you have here. What you have is an "embedding" of S2 in R3.

Actually, I used the term "isometric" (adjective) rather than "isometry" (noun) very carefully. A mapping (in particular, an embedding) can be isometric (i.e. preserves the Riemannian metric) without being an honest-to-Goddess isometry (i.e. a diffeomorphism that preserves the Riemannian metric). See, for example, Chapter 6 of Do Carmo, called "Isometric Immersions."

In other words, the inclusion map S^2 into R^3 is the isometric immersion to which I referred.

Nevertheless, I still don't understand your "proof." Covariant differentiation is decidedly *not* the same on S^2 as it is on R^3. In particular, in S^2, you need to eliminate the normal part of the covariant derivative. In fact, I think that's the key: the covariant derivative of two vector fields on S^2 is the R^3 covariant derivative of the vector fields (with domain expanded to an open set of R^3) projected onto the tangent space of S^2.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying, and I'm also now calculating with brute force in spherical coordinates to see what I'm going to get. It's just bothering me that this theorem that my book states seems to require the isometry to be onto, but doesn't explicitely mention it.

Since the proof is left as an exercise, I haven't checked yet if onto is mandatory. I guess I'll have to prove that theorem then...

Thanks a lot for your guidance.

Palindrom said:
It's just bothering me that this theorem that my book states seems to require the isometry to be onto, but doesn't explicitely mention it.

Yes an isometry is onto - see Doodle Bob's previous post.

There can't be an isometry between S^2 and R^3 because, e.g., S^2 is compact and R^3 is not.

It's a matter of convention. We defined it to be one to one, but not onto. Call it an isometric mapping then.

I've calculated the thing brute force, yet my equations tell me that parallel translation, in spherical coordinates, keeps the 'theta' component constant, while the 'phi' one behaves like sinus.

If anyone would be willing to go over my (brief) calculations, I'd send them the word document by mail. It would really help me understand this whole subject...

Related to Parallel Translation in R^3 & S^2: Contradiction?

1. What is parallel translation in R^3 and S^2?

Parallel translation in R^3 and S^2 is the process of moving a point or vector along a straight line or curve without changing its direction. In R^3, this is often referred to as parallel displacement, while in S^2 it is known as parallel transport. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to study the properties of curves and surfaces.

2. How is parallel translation different from regular translation?

Regular translation involves moving a point or vector by a fixed distance in a specific direction. Parallel translation, on the other hand, maintains the same direction as the point or vector is moved along a curve or surface. This means that the point or vector stays parallel to its original position, hence the name "parallel translation."

3. What is the significance of parallel translation in R^3 and S^2?

Parallel translation is important in R^3 and S^2 because it allows us to define and study curves and surfaces in a three-dimensional space. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects as they move along these curves and surfaces. Additionally, parallel translation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. Can parallel translation lead to contradictions in R^3 and S^2?

Yes, in some cases, parallel translation can lead to contradictions in R^3 and S^2. This occurs when the curvature of the curve or surface is not constant, causing the direction of the point or vector to change as it is moved along the curve or surface. This is known as the parallel translation paradox and is a concept that is still being studied by mathematicians and scientists.

5. How is parallel translation used in real-life applications?

Parallel translation has many real-life applications, including in navigation and GPS systems, where it is used to calculate the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic animations of objects moving along curved paths. In physics, parallel translation is used to study the motion of objects in space and the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields.