1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parameterization of hyperbola intersecting cone

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    Hello. I am having some trouble with the following problem and would be thankful if any of you could help me out.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let C be the hyperbola formed by intersecting the cone

[tex]x^2+y^2=z^2[/tex], [tex]z>0[/tex]

with the plane [tex]x+y+z=1[/tex], and let

[tex]\textbf{f}(x,y,z)=<0,0,1/z^2>[/tex].

I am trying to calculate [tex]\int_C \textbf{f} \wedge d\textbf{r}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

Here [tex]\wedge[/tex] is the cross product in 3-space.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am able to solve the same sort of problem for the cylinder
    [tex]x^2+y^2=1[/tex]
    and the plane
    [tex]z=2y+1[/tex].
    In which case we let [tex]x = \cos t, y = \sin t[/tex] and [tex]z = 2\sin t +1[/tex] yeilding

[tex]r(t) = <\cos t,\sin t,2\sin t +1>[/tex]

from which the result follows from integration.

I attempted to do something simular for the problem I am trying to figure out. Using [tex]r(t,z) = <z \cos t, z\sin t, z>[/tex] to represent points on the cone, I tried to move forward, but did not find a good way to combine this with the equation for the plane as I did in the above example for the cylinder. Perhaps it is because I have z in r(t,z)? Following this line of attack I can comebine this with the equation for the plane z = 1-x-y = 1-z cos t - sin t, solving for z and combining with r(t,z) yeilds r(t) as

[tex]r(t) = (1+\cos t+\sin t)^{-1}<\cos t,\sin t,1>[/tex]

but then I end up with horrible singularities!

Would be most greatful if you would let me know how to solve this one!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You meant to post x^2+y^2=z^2. x^2+y^2+z^2=z^2 is a line. The problem is that the hyperbola is unbounded and sin(t) and cos(t) are bounded functions. Try using their unbounded hyperbolic cousins, sinh(t) and cosh(t), in a similar way.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  4. Jun 8, 2009 #3
    Thanks, I fixed the equation you mention. I am not sure how I would use hyperbolic functions to represent the cone in the manor done with r(t,z) = <z cos t, z sin t, z>. I guess a hyperbola can be expressed as (+/- a cosh(u),b sinh(u)) but I am not sure how that helps me. Arg, this is confusing.

5. Jun 8, 2009 #4
    Perhaps what I did is actually correct, privided I do not integrate past the singularities? This should not be so hard, but it is.

6. Jun 8, 2009 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Not entirely sure if this helps you but, the equation for a circle [itex]x^2+y^2=r^2[/itex] is parametrized by [itex]x=r \cos \theta, y =r \sin \theta[/itex], which you of course already know. Similarly the equation for a hyperbola x^2-y^2=r^2 is parametrized by [itex] x=r \cosh \theta, y=r \sinh \theta[/itex], note that [itex]\cosh^2 \theta-\sinh^2 \theta=1[/itex].

7. Jun 8, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your posted quadratic is now a sphere. I still think you want x^2+y^2=z^2. If so try z=x*cosh(t) and y=x*sinh(t). That satisfies x^2+y^2=z^2 for any choice of x. Now substitute into the plane equation to find x in terms of t. It's really almost exactly the same thing you did with the cylinder example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook