Parity and integration in spherical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses using parity to determine the value of an integral in spherical coordinates without performing calculations. The speakers mention that when the integrated function has a parity of (-1), the integral must be equal to zero. However, they also note that not every function has definite parity, so this method may not always work.
KostasV
Hello people!
I have ended up to this integral ##\int_{φ=0}^{2π} \int_{θ=0}^π \sin θ \ \cos θ~Y_{00}^*~Y_{00}~dθ \, dφ## while I was solving a problem.
I know that in spherical coordinates when ##\vec r → -\vec r## :
1) The magnitude of ##\vec r## does not change : ##r' → r##
2) The angles ##θ## and ##φ## change like ##θ' → π-θ## and ##φ' → π+φ##
3) So parity of spherical harmonics is ##\hat P## ##Y_{lm}(θ,φ)## ##=## ##Y_{lm}(θ',φ')=(-1)^l## ##Y_{lm}(θ,φ)##
4) Parity of ##\cos θ## and ##\sin θ## are ##\cos θ'## ##=## ##(-1)## ##\cos θ## and ##\sin θ'## ##=## ##\sin θ## respectively.
This means that in my case the integrated function has Parity equal to ##(-1)## .

So my question is:
Can I say that this integral is zero because of the odd (=parity is equal to (-1)) integrated funtion? Because in the xy plane when we integrate an odd function ##F(x)=-F(-x)## in a symmetric space (e.g. ##\int_{-a}^a F(x) \, dx## with F being odd) we can say that it is zero without to calculate it.
If yes, can I do this in general? meaning, if i get a random function in spherical coordinates which depends only from angles θ and φ and i want to integrate it with these limits: ##\int_{φ=0}^{2π} \int_{θ=0}^π randomF(θ,φ) \, dθ \, dφ## , can i find its parity and say if it is zero or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, ##\mathrm{Y}_{00}=1/\sqrt{4 \pi}=\text{const}## and your integral thus is
$$\propto \int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \sin \vartheta \cos \vartheta=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \frac{1}{2} \sin(2 \vartheta)= \left .-\frac{1}{4} \cos(2 \vartheta)\right|_0^{\pi}=0.$$

vanhees71 said:
Well, ##\mathrm{Y}_{00}=1/\sqrt{4 \pi}=\text{const}## and your integral thus is
$$\propto \int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \sin \vartheta \cos \vartheta=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \frac{1}{2} \sin(2 \vartheta)= \left .-\frac{1}{4} \cos(2 \vartheta)\right|_0^{\pi}=0.$$
Ok that was an easy integral but what if i have something more complicated like ##\int_{φ=0}^{2π} \int_{θ=0}^π \sin θ \ \cos θ~Y_{11}^*~Y_{1-1}~dθ \, dφ## ? If we use parity here we see that the parity of the integrated function is (-1) and the integral must be zero! No calculations ! Just used parity !
My question is not how to solve the integral making calculations . I want to solve it using parity and i want to tell me if my thoughts are correct on how to use parity in order to solve these integrals!
Thanks btw for your response :)

KostasV said:
Can I say that this integral is zero because of the odd (=parity is equal to (-1)) integrated funtion?
Yes you can. Just remember that not every function has definite parity.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes you can. Just remember that not every function has definite parity.
Thank you very much ! :)

1. What is parity in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, parity refers to the symmetry of a function with respect to a reflection about the origin. A function is said to have even parity if it remains unchanged after such a reflection, and odd parity if it changes sign.

2. How is parity determined in spherical coordinates?

To determine the parity of a function in spherical coordinates, one can use the following rule: if the function contains only even powers of the radial coordinate, it has even parity, and if it contains only odd powers, it has odd parity. If the function contains a mix of even and odd powers, it has no defined parity.

3. What is meant by integration in spherical coordinates?

Integration in spherical coordinates refers to the process of calculating a volume or surface area using the spherical coordinate system. This involves integrating over the radial, azimuthal, and polar angles to determine the volume or surface area of a region in three-dimensional space.

4. How is integration performed in spherical coordinates?

To perform integration in spherical coordinates, one must first convert the integrand to spherical coordinates using the appropriate transformation equations. Then, the integral is evaluated by integrating over the three angles, with the limits of integration determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated.

5. How is parity used in integration in spherical coordinates?

Parity is important in integration in spherical coordinates because it can simplify the integration process. If a function has even parity, the integral over certain regions will evaluate to zero, reducing the complexity of the integral. This is particularly useful in cases where the function has rotational symmetry.