Parseval's Theorem - Average Power of the difference of functions

In summary, Parseval's Theorem allows us to combine average powers in this way, and thus we do not need to consider the cross-terms when calculating the average power of e(t).
Master1022
Homework Statement
Given a function [itex] e(t) = f(t) - g(t) [/itex], find the average power of the function.
Relevant Equations
Parseval's theorem
Hi,

So I have a quick conceptual question about Parseval's theorem in this application. In previous parts of this question, we have found the average powers of both [itex] f(t) [/itex] and [itex] g(t) [/itex] by integration and using the complex Fourier series respectively (not sure if this is relevant to my question). I wanted to know how do we use these to calculate the average power of e(t)?

The answer simply does subtract the two aforementioned expressions to get the answer. However, I was wondering why we wouldn't need to consider the 'cross-terms'? So in the average power integral, we are dealing with [itex] |e(t)|^2 = |e(t)||e^*(t)| = |f(t) - g(t)||g^*(t) - f^*(t)| [/itex] and wouldn't this contain terms that look like [itex] f(t) g^*(t) [/itex] and [itex] f^*(t) g(t) [/itex] (omitting the signs for now)? The calculation that they have done does not include any of these and I was wondering whether we are allowed to combine average powers like that?

Thanks in advance.

(N.B. I do understand that this might be question-specific, but just want to understand the concept first as this is the last sub-part of a longer question and typing that out would include seemingly redundant information - I can include it if necessary)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are allowed to combine average powers like that. This is because of Parseval's Theorem, which states that the sum of the squared magnitudes of the Fourier coefficients is equal to the integral of the squared magnitude of the original signal. Thus, the average power of e(t) can be calculated by subtracting the average powers of f(t) and g(t), without taking into account the cross-terms.

1. What is Parseval's Theorem?

Parseval's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the average power of a signal to its Fourier coefficients. It states that the sum of the squares of the Fourier coefficients of a signal is equal to the signal's average power.

2. How is Parseval's Theorem used in signal processing?

Parseval's Theorem is used in signal processing to analyze and characterize signals. It allows for the calculation of the average power of a signal by examining its frequency components, which can be useful in applications such as audio and image processing.

3. What is the difference between Parseval's Theorem and the Fourier Transform?

Parseval's Theorem and the Fourier Transform are related but different concepts. The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal into its frequency components, while Parseval's Theorem is a theorem that relates the average power of a signal to its Fourier coefficients.

4. How is Parseval's Theorem derived?

Parseval's Theorem can be derived using mathematical techniques such as integration and complex analysis. It is a fundamental result of Fourier analysis and has various proofs, including the use of the Plancherel theorem and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality.

5. Can Parseval's Theorem be applied to non-periodic signals?

Yes, Parseval's Theorem can be applied to both periodic and non-periodic signals. For non-periodic signals, the theorem is modified to use an integral instead of a summation, and the Fourier coefficients become the Fourier transform of the signal.