Partial Derivative Manipulation for Physical Chemistry Homework problem

In summary: Q(v,w) and R(v,w). The given equations are K = v(dQ/dv)r and L = v(dQ/dv)w. Chetan was asked to show that (1/v)K = (1/v)L + (dQ/dw)v (dW/dv)r. To solve this, Chetan manipulated the given information and substituted to get the desired result. The final equation was (1/v)K = (1/v)L + (dQ/dw)v (dW/dv)r. Chetan also discussed the relationship between dR, dv, and dw, and how they would need to vary for dR to equal
Jayjayjay

Homework Statement

Given the functions Q(v,w) and R(v,w)
[/B]
K = v(dQ/dv)r and L = v(dQ/dv)w

Show that
(1/v)K = (1/v)L + (dQ/dw)v (dW/dv)r

I have the problem attached if for clarity of the information.

Homework Equations

I assume everything is given in the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Q(v,w) --> dQ = (dQ/dv)w DV + (dQ/dw)v DW
R(v,w) --> dR = (dR/dv)w DV + (dR/dw)v DW

(1/v)K = (dQ/dv)r (Equation 1)
so I have to manipulate the given information to equal (dQ/dv)r and substitute (I think)

(1/v)L = (dQ/dv)w
which is in the function Q(v,w) so I was thinking you could just make

dQ - (dQ/dw)v DW = (dQ/dv)w

and substitute to equal

(1/v)L = dQ - (dQ/dw)v dW --> (1/v)L + (dQ/dw)v dW = dQ

If I divided the whole thing by dv I could get

(1/v)L + (dQ/dw)v (dW/dv)r = (dQ/dv)r

and substitute this into equation 1 to get

(1/v)K = (1/v)L + (dQ/dw)v (dW/dv)r

Is this correct? I'm not sure.
[/B]

Attachments

• PChem.PNG
    PChem.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,207
Physics news on Phys.org
If R=R(v,w), what is dR in terms of dv and dw (and the partial derivatives of R with respect to v and w)? How do dv and dw have to vary if dR = 0? What is the partial derivative of w with respect to v at constant R?

Chet

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

2. Why is partial derivative manipulation important in physical chemistry?

Partial derivative manipulation is important in physical chemistry because it allows us to analyze how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of a system. This is crucial in understanding the relationships between different physical properties and processes.

3. How do I calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you first write out the function in terms of its variables. Then, you differentiate the function with respect to the variable you are interested in, treating all other variables as constants. This results in a new function that represents the rate of change of the original function with respect to the chosen variable.

4. Can partial derivative manipulation be applied to any function?

Yes, partial derivative manipulation can be applied to any function that has multiple variables. However, the function must be differentiable, meaning that it must have a well-defined derivative at each point.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial derivative manipulation in physical chemistry?

Partial derivative manipulation is used in many areas of physical chemistry, such as in the study of thermodynamics, chemical kinetics, and quantum mechanics. It is also commonly used in the analysis of experimental data to determine the relationships between different physical properties of a system.