1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivative Problem

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    According to the ideal gas law, the pressure, temperature, and volume of a gas are related by PV=kT, where k is a constant. Find the rate of change of pressure (pounds per square inch) with respect to temperature when the temperature is 300[tex]^{o}[/tex]K if the volume is kept fixed at 100 cubic inches.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    PV=kT
    P=V-1kT
    P=100-1kT
    [tex]\frac{dP}{dT}[/tex]=100-1k

I don't know how to figure this out. We were given the answer, -.01 psi/[tex]^{o}[/tex]K but I don't know how to get to this with the k there.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

k is Boltzmann's constant.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is weird. You're given information (T=300K) which is not necessary for calculating ∂P/∂T, and not given enough information to figure out what k is.

Moreover, pressure should increase as the gas is heated up. Yet "the answer" is a negative quantity!

Something is definitely not right here.

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what I thought when I first saw the problem. But where is the number of gas molecules in PV=kT? Either that equation was not written correctly, or k really is just "a constant".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook