Partial Derivatives of a and b

In summary, the conversation is about finding partial derivatives for the equations m=a+b and n=a^2+b^2. The first part involves finding (dm/db)a and the second part involves finding (db/dm)n. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and discussing different methods such as implicit differentiation.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

m=a+b n=a2+b2

find partials (dm/db)a and (db/dm)n

The Attempt at a Solution

(dm/db)a = 1 is that right?

and

(db/dm)n I'm not sure how to get all the variables into one equation but

a = sqrt(b2-n)

so

m = b - sqrt(b2-n)

can someone help out please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Liquidxlax said:

Homework Statement

m=a+b n=a2+b2

Wait, so are you saying that m = a + bn AND m = a2 + b2?

cepheid said:
Wait, so are you saying that m = a + bn AND m = a2 + b2?

no

m=a+b and n=a^2 +b^2

Liquidxlax said:
no

m=a+b and n=a^2 +b^2

Okay.

Liquidxlax said:
(dm/db)a = 1 is that right?

Yeah.

Liquidxlax said:
and

(db/dm)n

This suggests that you want the function b(n,m), so you have to take what you have

Liquidxlax said:
m = b - sqrt(b2-n)

solve it for b, and then differentiate that w.r.t. m, keeping n constant.

cepheid said:
Okay.

Yeah.

This suggests that you want the function b(n,m), so you have to take what you have

solve it for b, and then differentiate that w.r.t. m, keeping n constant.

well i came here to late, i did try to do it the way you stated, but I'm not sure if i did it right. I could have done it by implicit differentiation or w.e it is called, which i did do. So we shall see whether i got it or not.

Related to Partial Derivatives of a and b

1. What is a partial derivative problem?

A partial derivative problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is a way to measure how much a function changes when only one variable is allowed to vary, while keeping all other variables fixed.

2. How do I solve a partial derivative problem?

To solve a partial derivative problem, you will need to use the partial derivative formula, which involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest, while treating all other variables as constants. This will give you the partial derivative of the function. You may also need to use implicit differentiation or the chain rule, depending on the complexity of the problem.

3. When do I need to use partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are commonly used in multivariable calculus to analyze the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving multiple variables. In general, if you are dealing with a function that has multiple variables, you will likely need to use partial derivatives.

4. What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have numerous real-world applications, especially in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to analyze the rate of change of a chemical reaction, optimize production processes, or study the impact of variables on stock prices. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.

5. Can a partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of the variable being considered, while all other variables are held constant. It is important to pay attention to the sign of a partial derivative, as it can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function.