Partial Derivatives: Solving y^2=uy-v

In summary, the conversation is discussing the partial derivative of y^2 with respect to u, but there is confusion about the independent variables and the notation used. The problem may lie in ambiguous notation and the lack of specific domain for the function y^2.
theleftside
Hey,

Little confused by something:

if we have u=x+y and v=xy what is the partial derivative w.r.t. u of

y^2=uy-v

I am told it is 2y (dy/du) = u (dy/du) + y

And I can see where these terms come from. What I don't understand is why there is no (dv/du) term, as v and u aren't independent.

Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The variables x and y have been exchanged with u and v:They are the independent variables, and y is a function of them, y(u,v).
Any function f(u,v) have partial derivatives with respect to u and with respect to v, but the derivatives of u or v with respect to each other is zero.

Definition: A function f is said to be a function of the independent variables (a, b, c) if specifying a, b, c fully determines f (but not overdetermine: i.e. specification of all the three a, b, c are necessary for the determination of f; non-specification of anyone of the a, b, c will leave f undetermined). This is our so called 'CONSTRUCTION'. Also, a, b, c are said to be independent variables.

Now, take y^2 be z. Then z=z(u, v, y) - as per the definition above, and all three, i.e. u, v, y are independent (as per above). Don't go by 'u=x+y and v=xy' to conclude that u and v aren't independent.

Also, I don't think it's correct to write y=y(u,v), since specification of u, v doesn't fully determine y (it's a quadratic equation-hence two roots)
ehild said:
and y is a function of them, y(u,v).
But, y^2=y^2(u, v, y) is correct, since y^2 is fully determined by u, v and y.

Sashwat Tanay said:
Definition: A function f is said to be a function of the independent variables (a, b, c) if specifying a, b, c fully determines f (but not overdetermine: i.e. specification of all the three a, b, c are necessary for the determination of f; non-specification of anyone of the a, b, c will leave f undetermined). This is our so called 'CONSTRUCTION'. Also, a, b, c are said to be independent variables.

Now, take y^2 be z. Then z=z(u, v, y) - as per the definition above, and all three, i.e. u, v, y are independent (as per above). Don't go by 'u=x+y and v=xy' to conclude that u and v aren't independent.

Also, I don't think it's correct to write y=y(u,v), since specification of u, v doesn't fully determine y (it's a quadratic equation-hence two roots)

But, y^2=y^2(u, v, y) is correct, since y^2 is fully determined by u, v and y.
is it not overdetermined?

Likes Sashwat Tanay
I see. True.
By the way, can we even legitimately talk of partial derivative of y^2=uy-v wrt u? Before doing that, we I think we should decide our independent variables on which y^2 depends.
Also, in
theleftside said:
I am told it is 2y (dy/du) = u (dy/du) + y
'dy/du' indicates a total derivative, so y should be fully determined by u. But we see, it's not.

theleftside said:
what is the partial derivative w.r.t. u of

y^2=uy-v

We could equally well ask: What is the partial derivative of y^2 with repsect to v ?

This general type of confusion often occurs in physics problems. Authors establish a complicated relation between several variables and then write a total differential that seems to be missing some partial derivatives. I conjecture the problem lies in ambiguous notation. The notation y^2 = uy - v does not specify the function y^2 as being a function of particular variables. A correct mathematical definition of a function states a particular domain for a function. A relation like y^2 = uy - v does not.

The "given" information to determine a value of a mathematical function is specified by a vector of values for specific variables. The value of the left hand side of an equation might be determined from a variety of information about the right hand side.

Likes Sashwat Tanay

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How do you solve for partial derivatives?

To solve for a partial derivative, you must first identify the function and the variable you want to take the derivative with respect to. Then, you can use the standard derivative rules, such as the power rule or the chain rule, to calculate the partial derivative.

3. What does "uy-v" mean in the equation y^2=uy-v?

"uy-v" represents the other variables in the function that are being held constant while taking the partial derivative with respect to "y". This means that these variables will not change as "y" changes.

4. Why do we use partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives allow us to analyze the behavior of a function in multiple dimensions. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics and economics, where many variables may be involved in a single equation.

5. Can we use the chain rule to solve for partial derivatives?

Yes, the chain rule can be used to solve for partial derivatives, as it is a fundamental rule of differentiation that applies to all types of derivatives.