1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Differential Equation? What is this?

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    The professor passed this out today for homework and I have no idea how to even get started. If someone could tell me what type of problem this is I could look it up in the textbook but I can't find anything similar. I couldn't figure out how to insert all of the symbols so I attached the problem as a .gif

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What exactly is your problem? The paper leads you step by step through the solution. It says

"Seeking a solution of the form u= f(x) cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)+ g(x) sin([itex]\omega[/itex]t), show that ...."

Okay, put that into the differential equation and see what must be true of f and g in order to satisfy the equation.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    I have been trying to figure out this problem for a week now and I am still drawing a blank on how to "put that into the differential equation." How exactly can I get started on this?

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know how to "substitute" into an equation? The problem is askng you to substitute u= f(x) cos(t)+ g(x) sin(t) into the equation and tell what must be true of f and g in order to satisfy the equation.

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are talking about. What am I substituting u= f(x) cos(t)+ g(x) sin(t) into? The du/dt=D*(d2u/dx2) equation?

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes! That's the only equation you are given at that point!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?