Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partial Differential Equation? What is this?

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    The professor passed this out today for homework and I have no idea how to even get started. If someone could tell me what type of problem this is I could look it up in the textbook but I can't find anything similar. I couldn't figure out how to insert all of the symbols so I attached the problem as a .gif

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What exactly is your problem? The paper leads you step by step through the solution. It says

"Seeking a solution of the form u= f(x) cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)+ g(x) sin([itex]\omega[/itex]t), show that ...."

Okay, put that into the differential equation and see what must be true of f and g in order to satisfy the equation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    I have been trying to figure out this problem for a week now and I am still drawing a blank on how to "put that into the differential equation." How exactly can I get started on this?

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Do you know how to "substitute" into an equation? The problem is askng you to substitute u= f(x) cos(t)+ g(x) sin(t) into the equation and tell what must be true of f and g in order to satisfy the equation.

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are talking about. What am I substituting u= f(x) cos(t)+ g(x) sin(t) into? The du/dt=D*(d2u/dx2) equation?

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes! That's the only equation you are given at that point!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook