1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial fraction decomposition of the cosine

1. Apr 23, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

with the "standard" method and with the method of the partial fraction decomposition of the cosine.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\pi\cot\pi z=\frac{1}{z}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{2z}{z^{2}-k^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The "standard" method wasn't a problem just partial fraction decomposition and some index-shifting. the result is 3/4.
    However, when it comes to the cosine function my problem is that I can't plug integers (i.e. 1) in the function because it isn't defined there. Thus, i tried rewriting the term; however, the only rewriting of the term that leads to a result is to do the usual partial fraction decomposition which sort of defeats the purpose.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by the "partial fraction decomposition of the cosine".
  4. Apr 23, 2008 #3

Well it should actually read "partial fraction decomposition of the cotangent" (thus the formula)

The idea is to write the cotangent as a infinite series of partial fractions (because there are infinite many zero's of the denominator of cos(x)/sin(x)). If you do this you arive at the formula given above.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  5. Apr 23, 2008 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Of course it won't work for integers. When you take the k=z term of the sum, what happens?
  6. Apr 23, 2008 #5

yeah I know that it doens't work for integers so I have to rewrite it somehow so that I can calculate the given series with the formula (as is stated in the exercise). The problem is I don't really know how to do that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?