Partial fraction decomposition of the cosine

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the infinite series \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2}-1} using both the "standard" method and the method of partial fraction decomposition of the cotangent function. The result using the standard method is 3/4, but the issue arises with the cotangent method when trying to plug in integers. The solution involves rewriting the formula and using partial fraction decomposition to get the desired result.
gop

Homework Statement

Calculate
[tex]\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2}-1}[/tex]
with the "standard" method and with the method of the partial fraction decomposition of the cosine.

Homework Equations

[tex]\pi\cot\pi z=\frac{1}{z}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{2z}{z^{2}-k^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The "standard" method wasn't a problem just partial fraction decomposition and some index-shifting. the result is 3/4.
However, when it comes to the cosine function my problem is that I can't plug integers (i.e. 1) in the function because it isn't defined there. Thus, i tried rewriting the term; however, the only rewriting of the term that leads to a result is to do the usual partial fraction decomposition which sort of defeats the purpose.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by the "partial fraction decomposition of the cosine".

Well it should actually read "partial fraction decomposition of the cotangent" (thus the formula)

The idea is to write the cotangent as a infinite series of partial fractions (because there are infinite many zero's of the denominator of cos(x)/sin(x)). If you do this you arive at the formula given above.

Last edited:
Of course it won't work for integers. When you take the k=z term of the sum, what happens?

yeah I know that it doens't work for integers so I have to rewrite it somehow so that I can calculate the given series with the formula (as is stated in the exercise). The problem is I don't really know how to do that.

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It is useful for performing integrals and solving differential equations.

Why is partial fraction decomposition used for the cosine function?

Partial fraction decomposition is used for the cosine function because it allows us to express it as a sum of simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate or solve equations involving cosine.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition on the cosine function?

To perform partial fraction decomposition on the cosine function, we first write it as a rational function by dividing by the highest power of cosine. Then, we factor the denominator and set up an equation with the decomposed fractions. Finally, we solve for the unknown coefficients using algebraic methods.

What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition for the cosine function?

Using partial fraction decomposition for the cosine function can simplify complex integrals and differential equations involving cosine, making them easier to solve. It also allows us to express the function in a more concise and manageable form.

Are there any limitations to using partial fraction decomposition for the cosine function?

One limitation of using partial fraction decomposition for the cosine function is that it only works for rational functions. It also may not work for certain types of equations or functions that cannot be expressed as a sum of simpler fractions.