Partial Fraction Deconstruction: Int Tutorial

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the trapezoidal rule and the need for a calculator in solving complex numerical problems. The speaker also mentions the effectiveness of the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule in finding approximations for non-integrable functions. They also suggest using a calculator to save time and demonstrate the effectiveness of the trapezoidal rule in solving problems.
suspenc3
Hi, here is my question:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{(x-2)(x^2+4)}[/tex]...for some reason I can't equate the coefficients?..is there something else.i used A/x-2 + B/(x^2+4)

Physics news on Phys.org
When you have an irreducible quadratic polynomial in the denominator, you have to expand it as follows:

[tex]\frac{A}{x-2}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^2+4}[/tex]

Now you have as many equations (equating the coefficients of 1, x and x2 after multiplying across by the denominator) as unknowns (A,B,C).

ohhh..ok Thanks!

I have another question..Im just starting ttrapezoidal rule, are you suppose to use a calculator or?

What are you trying to do? If your goal is to numerically approximate the integral of a function that can't be done analytically, you should use a computer program. If you're just supposed to demonstrate the trapezoidal rule for small numbers of intervals (ie, a few, wide trapezoids), then it depends. Sometimes you can find an exact expression for the sum of their areas, as in the case of the function f(x)=x, and sometimes this may be difficult and you'll just want to add up the areas on your calculator.

I've always wondered why they teach the trapezoidal rule anyway. Obviously if you are looking for an approximation to a non-integrable (sp?) function then you will use a better method like Simpson's rule, and for anything that you would be able to use the trapezoidal rule with any close approximation you might as well just use rectangles.

Anyway, I'd imagine that you're supposed to use a calculator to go through the approximations, or if it is one of that calc classes where you aren't allowed to use a calculator then you should just put all your work down and they will grade based on that (so much easier).

Hi, late response sorry, I am doing pretty complex numbers..I don't think I could do them in my head..like [tex](1.6+1)^1^/^4[/tex] and cosine of a fraction etc...Ive never really used a calculator fot he past 3 years and I don't see why we would all of a sudden need one... Also..is it just me or is the trap and simpson rule pointless and out of place..it just seems too easy...i dddddddunno

Last edited:
If you can compute 2.6^(1/4) in your head then kudos. I'd save time and use a calculator. (Which is what I suspect you're intended to do)

Related to Partial Fraction Deconstruction: Int Tutorial

1. What is partial fraction deconstruction?

Partial fraction deconstruction is a mathematical process used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration and manipulation of the original function.

2. How is partial fraction deconstruction used in science?

Partial fraction deconstruction is commonly used in various branches of science, such as physics and engineering, where it is used to simplify complex mathematical equations and make them more manageable for analysis and experimentation.

3. What are the steps involved in partial fraction deconstruction?

The first step is to factor the denominator of the rational function to determine its individual components. Then, set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the numerator and denominator. Finally, solve the system of equations to determine the constants that will make up the partial fraction decomposition.

4. Why is partial fraction deconstruction important?

Partial fraction deconstruction is important because it allows for the simplification of complex functions, making them easier to integrate and manipulate. It also helps in solving differential equations and finding the roots of polynomials.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction deconstruction?

Partial fraction deconstruction can only be used for rational functions, where the numerator and denominator are polynomials. It may also be difficult to solve a system of equations with a large number of unknowns, making the process more tedious and time-consuming.