Partial fractions to determine antiderivative of sec x

In summary, the homework statement is to derive a formula for the antiderivative of sec x using the identity that sec x= cos x/ (1-sin^2x). This was done using a substitution for sin x and then partial fractions. Then the solution was multiplied by (1+sin x)/(1+sin x) to get the more familiar formula for the antiderivative. However, there was a sign error in the equation and it needed to be corrected. Once the error was fixed, the two log terms were combined using the property of logs to get the desired result.
hpnhpluv

Homework Statement

Derive a formula for the antiderivative of sec x using the identity that sec x= cos x/ (1-sin^2x). Use a substitution for sin x and then partial fractions. Then multiply the solution by (1+sin x)/ (1+sin x) to obtain the more familiar formula for the antiderivative.

Homework Equations

Known antiderivative of sec x: ln (tanx+secx)+c

The Attempt at a Solution

U= sinx, du =cosxdx
intergral of du/1-u^2
integral of A/(1-u) + integral of B/(1+u) = integral of 1/(1-u^2)
A+B=1
Au-Bu=0
A= 1/2, B=1/2
plugging back in and integrating I got 1/2(ln(1-sinx)+ln(1+sinx))... can this be simplified more?

I am confused about how multiplying my solution by (1+sinx)/(1+sinx) is going to give me the formula I want... perhaps I made a math error? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, math error. The integral of 1/(1-u) isn't log(1-u). There's a sign error. Do you see it?

Dick said:
Yep, math error. The integral of 1/(1-u) isn't log(1-u). There's a sign error. Do you see it?

I still don't see it...

As Dick said, you have a sign error...once you've corrected it you can combine your two log terms using the following property of logs :

[tex]\ln (a) - \ln (b) = \ln \left( \frac{a}{b} \right)[/tex]

hpnhpluv said:
I still don't see it...

[tex]\frac{d}{du} \ln (1-u) = \frac{-1}{1-u}[/tex]

:wink:

Ok...so the integral in question should have been -ln(1-u)?

hpnhpluv said:
I still don't see it...

The integral of 1/(1-u) is -log(1-u). Check it by differentiating. Use the chain rule.

Oh, didn't see your last reply. Thanks. :)

hpnhpluv said:
Ok...so the integral in question should have been -ln(1-u)?

Sure.

When I fixed my solution, I got 1/2*ln((1+sinx)/(1-sinx)).

Does that look right?

Yes. Can you finish it? Use the hint.

hpnhpluv said:
When I fixed my solution, I got 1/2*ln((1+sinx)/(1-sinx)).

Does that look right?

Looks fine, now what do you get when you multiply the argument of you logarithm by (1+sinx)/(1+sinx)?

gabbagabbahey said:
Looks fine, now what do you get when you multiply the argument of you logarithm by (1+sinx)/(1+sinx)?

Slow night out there, gabbagabba?

Dick said:
Slow night out there, gabbagabba?

All too often :wink:

*quietly butts out of thread*

gabbagabbahey said:

I know 1/2ln ((1+sinx)/(1-sinx)) is equivalent to saying ln ((1+sinx)/(1-sinx))^1/2...

Sure, can you get rid of those 1/2's by making the argument of the log a perfect square?

gabbagabbahey said:
All too often :wink:

*quietly butts out of thread*

No problem, but is was kind of echoy. We are saying exactly the same thing. Know anything about Banach spaces? There's a Carl140 problem way down the list I haven't had much time to think about.

Dick said:
Sure, can you get rid of those 1/2's by making the argument of the log a perfect square?

By completing the square? I'm not quite sure how to do that in this case...

I told you, use the hint. Like gabbagabba said, multiply (1+sin(x))/(1-sin(x)) by (1+sin(x))/(1+sin(x)). Don't expand the numerator. Do expand the denominator.

Dick said:
I told you, use the hint. Like gabbagabba said, multiply (1+sin(x))/(1-sin(x)) by (1+sin(x))/(1+sin(x)). Don't expand the numerator. Do expand the denominator.

Ok, so I got the denominator to be cos^2(x), which I know is correct. My numerator is (1+sinx)*(1+sinx)^(1/2). I know this has to equal sin(x). I just don't see how...

Thank you for being so patient with me. :smile:

No problem. The numerator is (1+sin(x))^2. The denominator is cos(x)^2. So you have (1/2)*log((1+sin(x))^2/cos(x)^2). I think you might be tired.

Dick said:
No problem. The numerator is (1+sin(x))^2. The denominator is cos(x)^2. So you have (1/2)*log((1+sin(x))^2/cos(x)^2). I think you might be tired.

Ahh, I see now! I got it! Thank you so incredibly much for your help!

And you are right, I am tired. It's been a long week...

What is the purpose of using partial fractions to determine the antiderivative of sec x?

The purpose of using partial fractions is to break down complex fractions into simpler fractions that can be integrated more easily. This allows us to determine the antiderivative of sec x, which is otherwise a difficult integral to solve.

What are the steps involved in using partial fractions for sec x?

The first step is to rewrite the given fraction as a sum of simpler fractions. Then, the coefficients of each term are determined by equating the numerators of the original fraction and the expanded fractions. Finally, the antiderivative is found by integrating each term separately.

Is it always necessary to use partial fractions for antiderivatives of sec x?

No, it is not always necessary. If the integral can be solved using other methods, such as substitution or integration by parts, then those methods should be used instead. Partial fractions are typically used when the integral cannot be solved by other means.

Can partial fractions be used for any type of fraction?

No, partial fractions can only be used for rational functions, which are fractions where the numerator and denominator are polynomials.

Are there any special cases to consider when using partial fractions for sec x?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider. One is when the fraction has repeated linear factors in the denominator, which requires additional steps in the process. Another is when the fraction has irreducible quadratic factors, which may require using a formula to determine the coefficients.