1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partial Sum with in 10^-10

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    determine the smallest positive integer N such that the partial sum is within 10^-10 of the series sum.

{Sigma} 2(-1/4)^(n-1) < 10^-10

ok divide the 2 out

(-1/4)^(n-1) < 5^-10

I know i have to take the natural log like so:
    (n-1) ln|-1/4| < nl|5^-10|

But theres the negative 1/4, how do i get it to be positive? i get the right answer when its positive but im not sure how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's an alternating series sum{a_n}. You have an error estimate for the partial sum up to n in terms of |a_(n+1)|. Note the absolute value.

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Is [itex]\sum 2 (-1/4)^{n-1}[/itex] the sum? You have stated this wrong- you don't want the partial sum, which is what you have here, to be less than [itex]10^{-10}[/itex], you want its difference from the actual sum to be less than [itex]10^{-10}[/itex] but have then done that.

One way to do that is to find the actual sum. That is not difficult because this is a "geometric" series and there is a formula for the sum.

But, better, as Dick says, because this is alternating + and -, the "error" is always less than the next term. You just want to find n so that the absolute value of the next term is less than [itex]10^{-10}[/itex]

[tex]\left|\left(-\frac{1}{4}\right)^{n-1}\right|= \left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^{n-1}< 5^{-10}[/tex]

5. Mar 11, 2010 #4
    so all i have to do is take the absolute value, THEN take the natural log? and solve from there pretty much

6. Mar 11, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pretty much, yes. Provided you understand why that works.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook