Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partial Sum with in 10^-10

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    determine the smallest positive integer N such that the partial sum is within 10^-10 of the series sum.

{Sigma} 2(-1/4)^(n-1) < 10^-10

ok divide the 2 out

(-1/4)^(n-1) < 5^-10

I know i have to take the natural log like so:
    (n-1) ln|-1/4| < nl|5^-10|

But theres the negative 1/4, how do i get it to be positive? i get the right answer when its positive but im not sure how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's an alternating series sum{a_n}. You have an error estimate for the partial sum up to n in terms of |a_(n+1)|. Note the absolute value.

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Is [itex]\sum 2 (-1/4)^{n-1}[/itex] the sum? You have stated this wrong- you don't want the partial sum, which is what you have here, to be less than [itex]10^{-10}[/itex], you want its difference from the actual sum to be less than [itex]10^{-10}[/itex] but have then done that.

One way to do that is to find the actual sum. That is not difficult because this is a "geometric" series and there is a formula for the sum.

But, better, as Dick says, because this is alternating + and -, the "error" is always less than the next term. You just want to find n so that the absolute value of the next term is less than [itex]10^{-10}[/itex]

[tex]\left|\left(-\frac{1}{4}\right)^{n-1}\right|= \left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^{n-1}< 5^{-10}[/tex]

5. Mar 11, 2010 #4
    so all i have to do is take the absolute value, THEN take the natural log? and solve from there pretty much

6. Mar 11, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pretty much, yes. Provided you understand why that works.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook