Particle in a uniform electric field

In summary, a particle with mass m = 4 g and charge q = -19 µC is moving in a uniform electric field of strength E = 450 N/C in the -y direction. At t = 5.7 s, the x-coordinate is 206.6381754m and the y-coordinate is 131.08m. The magnitude of the force acting on the particle is 0.00855N. The equations used were y = y0 + vy0*t + 0.5*ay*t^2, vx = v*cos(25), vy = v*sin(25), and a = F/m. The correct direction of the force should be taken into consideration when calculating acceleration.
Bryon

Homework Statement

Throughout space there is a uniform electric field in the -y direction of strength E = 450 N/C. There is no gravity. At t = 0, a particle with mass m = 4 g and charge q = -19 µC is at the origin moving with a velocity v0 = 40 m/s at an angle θ = 25° above the x-axis.

(a) What is the magnitude of the force acting on this particle?

F = 0.00855N

(b) At t = 5.7 s, what are the x- and y-coordinates of the position of the particle?

x = 206.6381754m
y = ?

Homework Equations

y = y0 + vy0*t + 0.5*ay*t2

vx = v*cos(25)
vy = v*sin(25)

a = m/F

The Attempt at a Solution

a = 0.004/0.00855 = 0.467836257

vy = 40*sin(25) = 16.90473047

y = 16.90473047*5.7 + 0.5*(-0.467836257)*5.7^2 = 88.75696368

Im not sure where I messed up here. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi

your calculation for 'a' is wrong

[tex] a=\frac{F}{m} = \frac{0.00855}{0.004} = 2.1375 m/s^2 [/tex]

now electric field is downwards , and charge is negative so the electric force on the charge will be in +y direction, so your acceleration should be positive.

I am getting [itex] y = 131.08 \, \, m [/itex] :smile:

Make sure of the direction of the force on the particle.

Ah thanks...I didnt realize I flipped mass and force for acceleration, and I should have realized the correct direction. Ill punch in the numbers and see what I get. Thanks!

I would like to point out that the equations and calculations provided in the attempt at a solution are correct, however, the units used are not consistent. The acceleration (a) should be in units of m/s^2, while the velocity (v) is in units of m/s. Also, the force (F) should be in units of N (Newton). Therefore, the correct value for the acceleration would be 0.004/0.00855 = 0.4678 m/s^2.

Additionally, for part (b), the y-coordinate should be calculated using the equation y = y0 + vy0*t + 0.5*ay*t^2, where t = 5.7 s, y0 = 0, vy0 = 16.90473047 m/s, and ay = -0.4678 m/s^2. This yields a value of y = 88.75 m.

I would also like to mention that the x-coordinate can be calculated using the equation x = x0 + vx0*t, where t = 5.7 s, x0 = 0, and vx0 = 40*cos(25) = 36.385 m/s. This yields a value of x = 206.643 m.

Overall, the calculations and equations used are correct, but it is important to pay attention to the units and be consistent with them in order to obtain accurate results.

Related to Particle in a uniform electric field

What is a Particle in a Uniform Electric Field?

A particle in a uniform electric field refers to a charged particle that is placed in a region where the electric field is constant in magnitude and direction.

What is the equation for the force experienced by a particle in a uniform electric field?

The force experienced by a particle in a uniform electric field is given by the equation F = qE, where q is the charge of the particle and E is the magnitude of the electric field vector.

How does the direction of the electric field affect the motion of the particle?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force experienced by the particle. If the electric field is in the same direction as the force, the particle will experience an acceleration in the direction of the electric field. If the electric field is in the opposite direction of the force, the particle will experience a deceleration in the direction opposite to the electric field.

What happens to a charged particle when it enters a uniform electric field?

When a charged particle enters a uniform electric field, it will experience a force due to the electric field. The direction of the force will depend on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field. If the force is non-zero, the particle will accelerate in the direction of the force.

How can the motion of a particle in a uniform electric field be described?

The motion of a particle in a uniform electric field can be described using Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion for a particle experiencing a constant force. The particle's position, velocity, and acceleration can be calculated at any given time using these equations.