Deriving Angular Momentum in a Particle Inside a Cone Problem

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem, but was not sure how to proceed. They needed help with the problem and listed energy conservation, linear momentum conservation, and angular momentum conservation as possible solutions. They also mentioned that torque is always in a certain direction, so the problem can be solved by finding the angle θ.
Tanya Sharma said:
Should I use cartesian coordinates or sperical coordinates would be easier to work with ?
Use Cartesian coordinates expressed with the angles theta and alpha :smile:.
It might cause confusion that I labelled the position vector by ##\vec r##, and you used l for it, and the problem denoted the radius of the horizontal circle with r. It is better to denote it with something else, ρ, for example.

Likes Tanya Sharma
Physics news on Phys.org
ehild said:
Use Cartesian coordinates expressed with the angles theta and alpha :smile:.
It might cause confusion that I labelled the position vector by ##\vec r##, and you used l for it, and the problem denoted the radius of the horizontal circle with r. It is better to denote it with something else, ρ, for example.

##\vec{\rho} = \rho sin\alpha \cos\theta \hat{i}+ \rho sin\alpha \sin\theta \hat{j} +\rho cos\alpha \hat{k}##

Is it correct ?

Tanya Sharma said:
I am really sorry , but I am not understanding this problem at all :oops: .
What we have been alluding to in our responses is that:
$$mv_cr=mv_0r_0$$
where vc is the circumferential component of the particle velocity at a location where the radial position of the particle is r (this r is defined in your figure). This is the conservation of angular momentum equation about the axis of the cone.

Chet

Likes Tanya Sharma
Chestermiller said:
What we have been alluding to in our responses is that:
$$mv_cr=mv_0r_0$$
where vc is the circumferential component of the particle velocity at a location where the radial position of the particle is r (this r is defined in your figure). This is the conservation of angular momentum equation about the axis of the cone.

Chet

You mean ##mvcos\theta r=mv_0r_0## ?

Tanya Sharma said:
##\vec{\rho} = \rho sin\alpha \cos\theta \hat{i}+ \rho sin\alpha \sin\theta \hat{j} +\rho cos\alpha \hat{k}##

Is it correct ?
That is the equation for the position vector drawn from the apex of the cone to any location ρ,θ on the cone, where ρ is the distance from the apex and θ is the circumferential angle (longitude).

Chet
Tanya Sharma said:
You mean ##mvcos\theta r=mv_0r_0## ?
Yes.

Likes Tanya Sharma
$$\theta = cos^{-1}\left(\frac{v_0r_0}{\sqrt{v^2_0+2gh}(r_0-htan\alpha)}\right)$$

Is it correct ?

Tanya Sharma said:

Is it correct ?
Yes. And what are the components of the velocity if its magnitude is v?
It is useful to practice vectors and their cross product!

ehild said:
And what are the components of the velocity if its magnitude is v?

I don't think ##\alpha## and ##\theta## would be relevant in finding components of velocity . Is that so ?

Tanya Sharma said:
I don't think ##\alpha## and ##\theta## would be relevant in finding components of velocity . Is that so ?
θ in the equation for ρ is a different θ from θ in your problem. You probably should have used φ in your equation for ρ to represent longitude.

Tanya Sharma said:
$$\theta = cos^{-1}\left(\frac{v_0r_0}{\sqrt{v^2_0+2gh}(r_0-htan\alpha)}\right)$$

Is it correct ?
Yes.

Chestermiller said:
Yes.

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
When I worked this problem in spherical coordinates, the independent variables I used were ρ and φ. In this problem α is constant. Once you have this equation for ##\vec{ρ}##, you can differentiate it to get the velocity and acceleration in terms of the time derivatives of ρ and φ. In the end, I worked using the unit vectors and components in spherical coordinates.

Chet

Likes Tanya Sharma
In either coordinates, the z component of the angular momentum resulted in Lz=m (ρsin(α))2dΦ/dt. With the notation of the problem, ρsin(α)=r. So Lz=m r*(r dΦ/dt) , but r dΦ/dt=vc, the component of velocity along the horizontal circle. L=mrvc, given by Chet in Post #38. It is a good practice to derive it from the vector product .

Likes Tanya Sharma