Particles of mass 600g and 400g are connected by a light

In summary, the 400g mass in a system with a 600g mass connected by a string over a smooth fixed pulley, initially hanging vertically 30cm above the ground, will reach a maximum height of 66cm above the ground when the system is released from rest. This is due to the tension force acting on the 400g mass and the acceleration of both masses being equal. Once the 600g mass hits the ground, the only force acting on the 400g mass is gravity, causing it to reach a maximum height of 66cm before falling back to the ground.
MrPickle

Homework Statement

Particles of mass 600g and 400g are connected by a light, inextensible string passing over a smooth fixed pulley. Initially both masses hang vertically, 30cm above the ground. If the system is released from rest find the greatest height reached above ground by the 400g mass.

Homework Equations

F = ma and the suvat equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using common sense I figured the highest it could go would be 60cm, because after the 600g mass has come down 30cm, it will be on the ground and cannot go down any more but the answer in the back of the book says 66cm. I can't see how the 600g mass can go down 36cm without going into the ground?

I'm not sure how to do it otherwise, my guess is to work out the acceleration using F = ma then use the suvat equations somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org

MrPickle said:
Using common sense I figured the highest it could go would be 60cm, because after the 600g mass has come down 30cm, it will be on the ground and cannot go down any more but the answer in the back of the book says 66cm. I can't see how the 600g mass can go down 36cm without going into the ground?
It's certainly true that the 600 g mass can only fall 30 cm. But when the 600 g mass hits the ground, does the other mass stop dead? What changes at that point? Hint: How fast are the masses moving when one hits the ground?

So you're saying it's going to roll or slide, that makes sense.

I could find the acceleration using F = ma, then I would have to use the suvat equations to find the speed at which it hits the ground, then use another suvat equation to find the distance traveled until it comes to a rest. I'm not sure what my acceleration would be in the last suvat equation, the same as what it fell as or g?

MrPickle said:
So you're saying it's going to roll or slide, that makes sense.
:confused: I never said anything about rolling or sliding.

I could find the acceleration using F = ma, then I would have to use the suvat equations to find the speed at which it hits the ground,
That's one way.
then use another suvat equation to find the distance traveled until it comes to a rest. I'm not sure what my acceleration would be in the last suvat equation, the same as what it fell as or g?
You tell me. Once the 600 g mass hits the ground, what forces act on the other mass?

Doc Al said:
:confused: I never said anything about rolling or sliding.

Well how else is it going to move?

Doc Al said:
You tell me. Once the 600 g mass hits the ground, what forces act on the other mass

Weight, Normal contact force and the forward force? That's if there's no friction.

From your description, I'm imagining a string draped over a pulley with a mass at each end hanging freely. No contact with anything but the string. No rolling or sliding. Am I wrong? (If so, please post a diagram.)

Doc Al said:
From your description, I'm imagining a string draped over a pulley with a mass at each end hanging freely. No contact with anything but the string. No rolling or sliding. Am I wrong? (If so, please post a diagram.)

I was including the ground in my diagram. There was no diagram with the question

MrPickle said:
I was including the ground in my diagram. There was no diagram with the question
You don't need to worry about the ground. What matters is what happens to the 400 g mass, the one that doesn't hit the ground.

Doc Al said:
You don't need to worry about the ground. What matters is what happens to the 400 g mass, the one that doesn't hit the ground.

But then the 600g mass is going into the ground?

Oh wait, is it like 'denting' the ground then? And the acceleration remains the same for the final suvat?

Thank you (:

MrPickle said:
But then the 600g mass is going into the ground?
We don't care what happens to the 600g mass after it hits the ground. But once it hits, what's different about the motion of the 400g mass? Once the 600g mass hits the ground, what forces act on the 400g mass and what is its acceleration?

Doc Al said:
We don't care what happens to the 600g mass after it hits the ground. But once it hits, what's different about the motion of the 400g mass? Once the 600g mass hits the ground, what forces act on the 400g mass and what is its acceleration?

Weight and the Normal Contact force or is it the tension?

I'm not sure what the acceleration is going to be :confused:

Or is it Weight = mass x acceleration? So it'll be 9.8?

MrPickle said:
Weight and the Normal Contact force or is it the tension?

I'm not sure what the acceleration is going to be :confused:

Or is it Weight = mass x acceleration? So it'll be 9.8?
While the 600g mass is falling, two forces act on the 400g mass: Gravity and the tension force. Once the 600g mass hits the ground, the string goes slack--no more tension. At that point, the only force on the 400g mass is gravity.

Okay, I've worked it out but I've gone wrong somewhere. I ended up getting a distance of -0.006 from my final suvat.

Here's my working out
Acceleration:
600g - T = 600a
T - 400g = 400a
T = 400a + 400g

600g - 400a - 400g = 600a
200g - 400a = 600a
200g = 1000a
[itex]a = \frac{1}{5}ms^{-1}[/itex]

Speed at which it hits the ground:
[itex]u = 0ms^{-1}, v = ?ms^{-1}, s = 0.3m, a = \frac{1}{5}ms^{-1}[/itex]
[itex]v^2 = u^2 + 2as[/itex]
[itex]v^2 = \frac{2}{5} \times 0.3 = 0.12[/itex]
[itex]v^2 = \frac {\sqrt{3}}{5}ms^{-1}[/itex]

Distance it travels:
[itex]u = \frac {\sqrt{3}}{5}ms^{-1}, v = 0ms^{-1}, a = 9.8ms^{-2}, s = ?m[/itex]
[itex]0 = (\frac {\sqrt{3}}{5})^2 + 2\times9.8s[/itex]
[itex]0 = 0.12 + 19.6s[/itex]
[itex]19.6s = -0.12[/itex]
[itex]s = -\frac{0.12}{19.6} = -\frac{3}{490}[/itex]

MrPickle said:
Okay, I've worked it out but I've gone wrong somewhere. I ended up getting a distance of -0.006 from my final suvat.

Here's my working out
Acceleration:
600g - T = 600a
T - 400g = 400a
T = 400a + 400g

600g - 400a - 400g = 600a
200g - 400a = 600a
200g = 1000a
[itex]a = \frac{1}{5}ms^{-1}[/itex]
Careful. The acceleration is (1/5)*g, not 1/5.

Speed at which it hits the ground:
[itex]u = 0ms^{-1}, v = ?ms^{-1}, s = 0.3m, a = \frac{1}{5}ms^{-1}[/itex]
[itex]v^2 = \frac{2}{5} \times 0.3 = 0.12[/itex]
[itex]v^2 = \frac {\sqrt{3}}{5}ms^{-1}[/itex]
Right method, but incorrect acceleration from before.

Distance it travels:
[itex]u = \frac {\sqrt{3}}{5}ms^{-1}, v = 0ms^{-1}, a = 9.8ms^{-2}, s = ?m[/itex]
[itex]0 = (\frac {\sqrt{3}}{5})^2 + 2\times9.8s[/itex]
[itex]0 = 0.12 + 19.6s[/itex]
[itex]19.6s = -0.12[/itex]
[itex]s = -\frac{0.12}{19.6} = -\frac{3}{490}[/itex]
Careful with signs: Here the acceleration is -9.8 m/s^2, since it acts down.

Gah, silly mistake.

Thanks a bunch for all the help.

1. What is the total mass of the connected particles?

The total mass of the connected particles is 1000g (600g + 400g).

2. What is the mass of each particle individually?

The mass of each particle is 600g and 400g, respectively.

3. Is the connection between the particles strong enough to support their combined weight?

Yes, the connection between the particles is strong enough to support their combined weight as they are connected by a light material.

4. How does the total mass of the connected particles affect their movement?

The total mass of the connected particles affects their movement by increasing the overall inertia and therefore requiring more force to accelerate or decelerate.

5. Can the connected particles be separated without breaking the connection?

Yes, the connected particles can be separated without breaking the connection as long as the force applied is not greater than the strength of the connection.