Understanding the Passive Sign Convention: Explaining P=+iv and P=-iv

In summary, the current goes from the higher potential (+V) to the lower potential (-V) through the resistor.
Charismaztex
From what I understand: P=+iv (current enters through the positive polarity of the voltage, implying that the element is absorbing power) and P=-iv (current enters through the negative polarity of the voltage, implying that the element is releasing or supplying power)

I remember reading that there are passive elements (resistors etc. which dissipate energy) and active elements (batteries etc. which supply energy). I recall that resistors only dissipate energy but the wiki entry here:

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Passive_sign_convention

example 1.2 suggests that the resistor is supplying energy. How can this be explained?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dude screwed up.

One thing could be is that he's erroneously using "resistor" for any two terminal element, if someone stuffed in "element" I think one would be okay

This is wrong example. A resistor can only dissipate power and it can't never supply power.

The writer of the article wrote "Find PTotal and Determine if this resistor is supplying power or dissipating it." How can a resistor be supplying power? I know from a physical point of view it is impossible for resistors to supply power but how do we explain the negative sign for power if the current enters from the negative terminal of a resistor?

Charismaztex said:
The writer of the article wrote "Find PTotal and Determine if this resistor is supplying power or dissipating it." How can a resistor be supplying power? I know from a physical point of view it is impossible for resistors to supply power but how do we explain the negative sign for power if the current enters from the negative terminal of a resistor?

as perfection pointed out, he tried to use a resistor as a generalized passive linear circuit element. resistors cannot store and release energy, of course, but other elements that are passive can. for electrical circuits, those passive elements are capacitors and inductors.

Charismaztex said:
I know from a physical point of view it is impossible for resistors to supply power but how do we explain the negative sign for power if the current enters from the negative terminal of a resistor?

The fact is current never enters the negative terminal of a resistor (in the sense you mentioned) and the power will never be negative.

n.karthick said:
The fact is current never enters the negative terminal of a resistor (in the sense you mentioned) and the power will never be negative.

Ah, thanks. I think that's the key. I saw a diagram in my textbook with the current going
i--->+[resistor A]- i---> -[resistor B]+ and I thought that the current passes through the negative terminal of resistor B first. But the actual voltage across resistor B is negative, indicating that the "+" side of resistor B is -V voltages above "-" side, hence "-" side has a higher potential than "+" side. Thus current goes from higher potential to lower potential through the resistor.

What is the Passive Sign Convention?

The Passive Sign Convention is a convention commonly used in electrical engineering to determine the direction of current flow and voltage polarity in a circuit.

Why is the Passive Sign Convention used?

The Passive Sign Convention is used to simplify circuit analysis and to maintain consistency in calculations. By following this convention, we can easily determine the direction of current flow and voltage polarity in a circuit without having to redraw the circuit multiple times.

What are the rules of the Passive Sign Convention?

The rules of the Passive Sign Convention are as follows:

• The current entering the positive terminal of a voltage source is considered positive.
  • The current exiting the negative terminal of a voltage source is considered positive.
  • The voltage drop across a resistor is considered positive when the current flows from the positive to the negative terminal.
  • The voltage drop across an inductor is considered positive when the current flowing through it produces a voltage drop that is in the same direction as the current.
  • The voltage drop across a capacitor is considered positive when the current flowing through it produces a voltage drop that is in the opposite direction as the current.

How is the Passive Sign Convention different from the Active Sign Convention?

The Passive Sign Convention and the Active Sign Convention are two different ways of determining the direction of current flow and voltage polarity in a circuit. While the Passive Sign Convention is used to simplify circuit analysis, the Active Sign Convention is used in control systems and electromechanical systems.

Can the Passive Sign Convention be applied to AC circuits?

Yes, the Passive Sign Convention can be applied to AC circuits. However, it is important to note that the convention may change depending on the type of component (e.g. resistor, inductor, capacitor) and the direction of current flow in an AC circuit.