Passive Sign Convention Homework: Understanding the Concept and Solving Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a self-made problem involving power and current in an electrical circuit. The diagram and equations are inconsistent, but it is clarified that the current should be positive and entering the negative terminal for the equations to make sense. The conversation also highlights the importance of clearly labeling symbols and using consistent notation when creating examples.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This is a problem I made myself, I was curious to see if I'm understanding this convention properly.

The link: http://gyazo.com/24c7f7f82f6453a3396d96d67c2a067d

Homework Equations

##P=IV##

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, from what I understand, the power (-40W) being negative implies that the element is supplying power.

That means that the current is entering the negative end of the terminal of the element and leaving through the positive end if I'm not mistaken.

Since the current is entering from the negative terminal, this means we should use the equation:

##P = -IV##
##-40W = -(-2A)(V)##
##V = -20V##

Now if that happens to be correct ^ I'm curious about something else. Rather than draw another terrible drawing, I'll try to explain.

Lets say the power is now P = 40W and leave the current as -2A. Change the reference points around so that A is positive and B is negative.

This means that the element is absorbing energy. That means that the current is entering the positive end of the terminal of the element and leaving through the negative end.

So the equation to be used would be:

##P = IV##
##40W = (-2A)(V)##
##V = -20V##

Is this also correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe your drawing is consistent. If the power is -40W then yes current should be flowing into the -ve and out of the +ve but that's not what you show.

You have an arrow showing the current going into the -ve but it's marked -2A. If you simplify the diagram by reversing the direction of the arrow and changing the polarity to +2A you can see what you've actually shown is current coming into the +ve.

CWatters said:
I don't believe your drawing is consistent. If the power is -40W then yes current should be flowing into the -ve and out of the +ve but that's not what you show.

Hmm after staring at the drawing in post 1 for awhile, I realize now that the entire drawing itself is inconsistent in general because of the -2A and the direction I've defined it in.

CWatters said:
You have an arrow showing the current going into the -ve but it's marked -2A. If you simplify the diagram by reversing the direction of the arrow and changing the polarity to +2A you can see what you've actually shown is current coming into the +ve.

If I had made the current +2A from the start when I drew it ( without changing the direction of the arrow ), it would've made sense without changing anything else in the drawing. The +2A would travel from the negative reference point A to the positive reference B and the element is supplying power. That means that the current enters the -ve and exits the +ve.

So the equation P = -VI would be used resulting in V = 20V.

I suppose making up your own examples isn't always so easy.

Last edited:
One issue is that you label the terminals +ve and -ve which is somewhat definitive . It might have been better to have put a voltage arrow on the load device labelled V. That would allow V to be positive or negative.

Your understanding of the passive sign convention appears to be correct. In the first scenario, the negative power indicates that the element is supplying power, and in the second scenario, the positive power indicates that the element is absorbing energy. Your equations and calculations are also correct. It is important to note that the passive sign convention is just a convention and does not change the physical behavior of the element. As long as you are consistent in your reference points and equations, you will arrive at the correct solution. Keep up the good work!

What is the Passive Sign Convention?

The Passive Sign Convention is a set of rules used in electrical engineering to determine the direction of current flow and the polarity of voltage in circuit diagrams.

Why is the Passive Sign Convention used?

The Passive Sign Convention is used to maintain consistency and avoid confusion in circuit analysis. It allows for easy comparison and calculation of parameters in a circuit.

What are the basic rules of the Passive Sign Convention?

The basic rules of the Passive Sign Convention are as follows:

• Current flows from positive to negative
  • Voltage is positive when moving from negative to positive
  • Current entering a passive element is considered positive
  • Current leaving a passive element is considered negative

How is the Passive Sign Convention applied in circuit analysis?

The Passive Sign Convention is applied by assigning polarities to the voltage and direction of current flow in circuit elements. This allows for the use of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit.

What are the limitations of the Passive Sign Convention?

The Passive Sign Convention is limited in its application to linear, passive circuits. It may not accurately represent the behavior of non-linear or active components. Additionally, it does not consider the effects of parasitic elements in a circuit.