1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path of a particle.

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f1738b9.png

2. Relevant equations
    Find the path of a particle.
    What is the general or fundamental way to solve this type of questions ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where do i start.
    I can't able to find a relation between these vectors.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Suppose for a moment that the initial velocity of the particle happened to be zero (the particle starts from rest). What type of path would you expect for a constant force being applied?

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've already given you the formulas for vector motion in another post. So, either you don't understand vectors or you don't understand motion in more than one dimension.

Can you draw a crude diagram of roughly what is going to happen to the particle?

Imagine you were running with the initial velocity and someone was pushing you in the direction of the force. Or, that someone is pushing you in the ##\hat{i}## direction and someone else is pushing you in the ##\hat{j}## direction. You need to find some way to relate these things to the real world.

But, then you need the maths to turn a crude understanding into a precise solution. So, if you don't understand vectors, you'd better go back and revise them.

5. Mar 31, 2016 #4
    Path will be straight line .

6. Mar 31, 2016 #5
    As per your directions given in last post,
    789dfbc.png
    3824f70.png
    Now, how do i find out relationship between them ?

7. Mar 31, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you have there is a "parametric" equation for ##x## and ##y##. That means both ##x## and ##y## are expressed in terms of a common variable - in this case ##t## or ##t/m## if you prefer. You could plot those on a graph. ##t/m = 0, 1, 2, 3 ...## and see whether that nails down the option between A) to D).

8. Mar 31, 2016 #7
    By plotting the graph, i got
    s_x and s_y path is parabolic.

9. Mar 31, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right. Once you got going with this problem, you seemed to know what you were doing all right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted