Path of a Particle: Find & Solve Questions

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the path of a particle with a constant force being applied. The person was struggling to understand the relationship between vectors and motion in multiple dimensions. The expert suggested revising vectors and drawing a crude diagram to better understand the problem. Eventually, it was concluded that the path would be a parabolic curve.
LoveBoy

Homework Statement

f1738b9.png

Homework Equations

Find the path of a particle.
What is the general or fundamental way to solve this type of questions ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where do i start.
I can't able to find a relation between these vectors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose for a moment that the initial velocity of the particle happened to be zero (the particle starts from rest). What type of path would you expect for a constant force being applied?

LoveBoy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where do i start.
I can't able to find a relation between these vectors.

I've already given you the formulas for vector motion in another post. So, either you don't understand vectors or you don't understand motion in more than one dimension.

Can you draw a crude diagram of roughly what is going to happen to the particle?

Imagine you were running with the initial velocity and someone was pushing you in the direction of the force. Or, that someone is pushing you in the ##\hat{i}## direction and someone else is pushing you in the ##\hat{j}## direction. You need to find some way to relate these things to the real world.

But, then you need the maths to turn a crude understanding into a precise solution. So, if you don't understand vectors, you'd better go back and revise them.

gneill said:
Suppose for a moment that the initial velocity of the particle happened to be zero (the particle starts from rest). What type of path would you expect for a constant force being applied?
Path will be straight line .

PeroK said:
I've already given you the formulas for vector motion in another post. So, either you don't understand vectors or you don't understand motion in more than one dimension.

Can you draw a crude diagram of roughly what is going to happen to the particle?

Imagine you were running with the initial velocity and someone was pushing you in the direction of the force. Or, that someone is pushing you in the ##\hat{i}## direction and someone else is pushing you in the ##\hat{j}## direction. You need to find some way to relate these things to the real world.

But, then you need the maths to turn a crude understanding into a precise solution. So, if you don't understand vectors, you'd better go back and revise them.
As per your directions given in last post,
789dfbc.png

3824f70.png

Now, how do i find out relationship between them ?

LoveBoy said:
As per your directions given in last post,
789dfbc.png

3824f70.png

Now, how do i find out relationship between them ?

What you have there is a "parametric" equation for ##x## and ##y##. That means both ##x## and ##y## are expressed in terms of a common variable - in this case ##t## or ##t/m## if you prefer. You could plot those on a graph. ##t/m = 0, 1, 2, 3 ...## and see whether that nails down the option between A) to D).

PeroK said:
What you have there is a "parametric" equation for ##x## and ##y##. That means both ##x## and ##y## are expressed in terms of a common variable - in this case ##t## or ##t/m## if you prefer. You could plot those on a graph. ##t/m = 0, 1, 2, 3 ...## and see whether that nails down the option between A) to D).
By plotting the graph, i got
s_x and s_y path is parabolic.

LoveBoy said:
By plotting the graph, i got
s_x and s_y path is parabolic.

That's right. Once you got going with this problem, you seemed to know what you were doing all right.

1. What is the "Path of a Particle"?

The "Path of a Particle" refers to the trajectory or movement of a particle in a given system, typically described using equations of motion such as Newton's laws of motion.

2. How do you find the path of a particle?

To find the path of a particle, you will need to know the initial conditions (position and velocity) of the particle and the forces acting upon it. Using equations of motion, you can then calculate the particle's position and velocity at any given time.

3. What kinds of problems can be solved using the "Path of a Particle" method?

The "Path of a Particle" method can be used to solve a variety of problems involving the motion of particles, such as projectile motion, circular motion, and simple harmonic motion.

4. What are the key equations used in solving "Path of a Particle" problems?

The key equations used in solving "Path of a Particle" problems include Newton's laws of motion, kinematic equations, and equations for calculating forces such as gravity, friction, and air resistance.

5. What are some real-life applications of "Path of a Particle" problems?

"Path of a Particle" problems have many real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile in sports or determining the motion of celestial bodies in space. They are also used in engineering to design structures and machines that can withstand certain forces and motions.