PC Characteristics: Simulation FEM professional purpose

In summary: RAM, graphics cards, and processors are all important factors, but you must also think about storage. How much space will you need for your data, and what type of storage will you need?In summary, a PC that is designed for serious professional simulation will require at least 32 GB of RAM and an Intel Xeon processor. It is also a good idea to spend money on graphics cards and storage.
Darion13
Dear all,
I'm an electric engineer, and I usually work with software as Ansoft Maxwell, Matlab, Ansys, COMSOL...
I need a PC for serious professional simulation, and I would like if someone can give me some tips of the characteristics I should ask for this purpose.

I don't want to spend more money than the necesary, though money it's not a problem if it's needed.

I've heard about 32 GB RAM or more and Intel Xeon processor stuff, I would like to hear your opinion.

Thank's everyone!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, simulation of what exactly and what's the biggest, most detailed simulation you plan on?

For example, analyzing a complex structure like a bridge may take less computer power than doing a small hydrodynamic or aerodynamic simulation over a certain time period. The equations of fluid dynamics are a lot more complicated to solve than most structural equations.

Likes Darion13
It depends also on whether the simulation is entirely a mathematical project or whether you want to indulge in graphics.
If you do want graphics you'll probably want high end stuff and that doesn't come cheap.

Likes Darion13
Mainly for complex electromagnetic and motor design.

Now I'm working in 2D, but I'll need 3D soon for sure.

Maybe some graphics, though the main aim is not to do much renders.

Thanks for the quick response

Hello everyone,
May I add any other information, I guess that the most complex design I can ask to the computer is a Multiphysics (electromagnetic, mechanical, termical, fluids) and the typically the most complex system would be to analyse a 3D Electric motor (maybe a Interior Permanent Magnets one) in this Multiphysics (not fluids, that would be for another case).

Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks!

Darion13 said:
Hello everyone,
May I add any other information, I guess that the most complex design I can ask to the computer is a Multiphysics (electromagnetic, mechanical, termical, fluids) and the typically the most complex system would be to analyse a 3D Electric motor (maybe a Interior Permanent Magnets one) in this Multiphysics (not fluids, that would be for another case).

Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks!

If you are going to do such complicated modeling of physical systems, involving electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, or whatever, you must have looked at software to use for these analyses. Start with what recommendations this software specifies as a minimum hardware requirement for the features your next PC will have.

It's not clear if you are looking to buy a system already configured or if you want to build your own custom machine, which you can expand with more memory or a faster processor as prices come down.

You can spend more just on one insane motherboard than most people will spend on an entire system. Setting a budget for what you want to spend can also help narrow down your choices.

Likes Darion13

What is simulation FEM and what is its purpose?

Simulation FEM (Finite Element Method) is a computational technique used to analyze and simulate the behavior of complex engineering systems. It involves dividing a system into small elements and using mathematical equations to model their behavior. The purpose of simulation FEM is to predict the performance of a system and identify potential design flaws or weaknesses before physically building it.

How is simulation FEM different from other simulation techniques?

Simulation FEM is different from other simulation techniques because it can handle complex geometries and boundary conditions. It also allows for the inclusion of material properties and can account for non-linear behavior. It is also highly accurate and can be used for a wide range of engineering applications.

What are some common applications of simulation FEM in the professional world?

Simulation FEM is commonly used in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, civil engineering, and manufacturing. It can be used for stress analysis, heat transfer analysis, fluid dynamics, and many other types of simulations.

What are the advantages of using simulation FEM in engineering design?

Simulation FEM has several advantages in engineering design, including the ability to quickly evaluate multiple design options, reduce the need for physical prototypes, and identify potential design flaws early on in the design process. It also allows for optimization of designs and can save time and costs in the long run.

What are the limitations of simulation FEM?

Some limitations of simulation FEM include the need for expertise and experience to properly set up and interpret the results, the potential for errors in the modeling and analysis process, and the high computational power required for complex simulations. It also relies on accurate input data and assumptions, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

Back