Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PC Characteristics: Simulation FEM professional purpose

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1
    Dear all,
    I'm an electric engineer, and I usually work with software as Ansoft Maxwell, Matlab, Ansys, COMSOL....
    I need a PC for serious professional simulation, and I would like if someone can give me some tips of the characteristics I should ask for this purpose.

I don't want to spend more money than the necesary, though money it's not a problem if it's needed.

I've heard about 32 GB RAM or more and Intel Xeon processor stuff, I would like to hear your opinion.

Thank's everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, simulation of what exactly and what's the biggest, most detailed simulation you plan on?

For example, analyzing a complex structure like a bridge may take less computer power than doing a small hydrodynamic or aerodynamic simulation over a certain time period. The equations of fluid dynamics are a lot more complicated to solve than most structural equations.

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3
    It depends also on whether the simulation is entirely a mathematical project or whether you want to indulge in graphics.
    If you do want graphics you'll probably want high end stuff and that doesn't come cheap.

5. Apr 24, 2015 #4
    Mainly for complex electromagnetic and motor design.

Now I'm working in 2D, but I'll need 3D soon for sure.

Maybe some graphics, though the main aim is not to do much renders.

Thanks for the quick response

6. Apr 28, 2015 #5
    Hello everyone,
    May I add any other information, I guess that the most complex design I can ask to the computer is a Multiphysics (electromagnetic, mechanical, termical, fluids) and the typically the most complex system would be to analyse a 3D Electric motor (maybe a Interior Permanent Magnets one) in this Multiphysics (not fluids, that would be for another case).

Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks!!

7. Apr 28, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are going to do such complicated modeling of physical systems, involving electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, or whatever, you must have looked at software to use for these analyses. Start with what recommendations this software specifies as a minimum hardware requirement for the features your next PC will have.

It's not clear if you are looking to buy a system already configured or if you want to build your own custom machine, which you can expand with more memory or a faster processor as prices come down.

You can spend more just on one insane motherboard than most people will spend on an entire system. Setting a budget for what you want to spend can also help narrow down your choices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook