[PChem] Van de Waals Partial Derivative

In summary: Homework Statement Find (\frac{dV}{dp})_{n,T} for the Van de Waals gas lawHomework EquationsVan de Waals gas law: (\frac{p+an^2}{V^2})(V-nb)=nRTThe Attempt at a SolutionI just started doing problems like these so I would like to know if I am doing them right...What I did was I took the implicit derivative of dV WRT dp for both sides...(\frac{V^2-(p+an^2)2V(\frac{dV}{dp})}{V^4}(V-nb
Coop

Homework Statement

Find [tex](\frac{dV}{dp})_{n,T}[/tex] for the Van de Waals gas law

Homework Equations

Van de Waals gas law: [tex](\frac{p+an^2}{V^2})(V-nb)=nRT[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just started doing problems like these so I would like to know if I am doing them right...

What I did was I took the implicit derivative of dV WRT dp for both sides...

[tex](\frac{V^2-(p+an^2)2V(\frac{dV}{dp})}{V^4}(V-nb)+(\frac{p+an^2}{V^2})(\frac{dV}{dp})=0[/tex]

...Solve for dV/dp and I ended up getting...

[tex]\frac{dV}{dp}=\frac{V-nb}{\frac{2(p+an^2)(V-nb)}{V}-p+an^2}[/tex]

...Can anyone verify this is correct? Or if it is not correct, can you verify I took the right approach? I haven't done calculus in a while before this course, but is this the correct approach to implicit differentiation? Differentiate p as normal but tack on a "dV/dp" after differentiating a V?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Coop said:

Homework Statement

Find [tex](\frac{dV}{dp})_{n,T}[/tex] for the Van de Waals gas law

Homework Equations

Van de Waals gas law: [tex](\frac{p+an^2}{V^2})(V-nb)=nRT[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just started doing problems like these so I would like to know if I am doing them right...

What I did was I took the implicit derivative of dV WRT dp for both sides...

[tex](\frac{V^2-(p+an^2)2V(\frac{dV}{dp})}{V^4}(V-nb)+(\frac{p+an^2}{V^2})(\frac{dV}{dp})=0[/tex]

...Solve for dV/dp and I ended up getting...

[tex]\frac{dV}{dp}=\frac{V-nb}{\frac{2(p+an^2)(V-nb)}{V}-p+an^2}[/tex]

...Can anyone verify this is correct? Or if it is not correct, can you verify I took the right approach? I haven't done calculus in a while before this course, but is this the correct approach to implicit differentiation? Differentiate p as normal but tack on a "dV/dp" after differentiating a V?

Thanks!

Here is what I get using Maple:

> f:=n*R*T=(V-n*b)*(p+a*n^2)/V^2; <--- input
f:=n*R*T = (V-n*b)*(p+a*n^2)/V^2 <--- echo of input

> implicitdiff(f,V,p); <---command
(V-n*b)*V/(V*p+V*a*n^2-2*n*b*p-2*n^3*b*a) <---- the implicit derivative

In LaTeX this is
[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial p} = \frac{(V - nb)V}{Vp+Va\,n^2-2nbp-2n^3\,b a} [/tex]
If you multiply both the numerator and denominator of your expression by ##V## you get Maple's numerator. Do you also get Maple's denominator after expanding out yours?

Likes 1 person
Ray,

I do! Thanks :) Is Maple a free program I can use to check my answers?

You can make the calculation a bit easier if you rearrange the initial expression as
$$\frac{1}{nRT}(p+an^2)=\frac{V^2}{V-nb}$$ and then differentiate implicitly.

Likes 1 person
Coop said:
Ray,

I do! Thanks :) Is Maple a free program I can use to check my answers?

No, not free, but some departments/universities have site licences. Alternatively, you can use Mathematica (perhaps through an institutional site licence). However, I do not have access to that, so I don't know what would be the appropriate commands.

Wolfram Alpha is a free, on-line computer algebra/calculus package, but has limitations---it is Mathematica Lite. I don't know the "implicit differentiation" commands for it, but I am sure some on-line help is available.

There are also a number of free computer algebra/calculus packages available for downloading to your own computer. Just do a Google search.

Thanks for both your help, guys.

P.S. I found a free download for Maple from my university.

1. What is the Van der Waals partial derivative?

The Van der Waals partial derivative is a mathematical expression that describes the change in a thermodynamic property of a system with respect to a change in the volume and temperature of the system, while keeping the number of moles and pressure constant. It takes into account the attractive and repulsive forces between molecules, which are not considered in the ideal gas law.

2. How is the Van der Waals partial derivative derived?

The Van der Waals partial derivative is derived by combining the ideal gas law with two additional terms: the Van der Waals correction for attractive forces and the excluded volume correction for repulsive forces. These corrections are added to the ideal gas law to account for the deviations from ideal behavior seen in real gases.

3. What is the significance of the Van der Waals partial derivative in thermodynamics?

The Van der Waals partial derivative is significant in thermodynamics because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of real gases, which cannot be fully explained by the ideal gas law. It takes into account the intermolecular interactions between gas molecules, which play a crucial role in determining the properties of the gas at different volumes and temperatures.

4. How is the Van der Waals partial derivative used in practical applications?

The Van der Waals partial derivative is used in various practical applications, such as predicting the behavior of real gases in chemical reactions and in the design of gas storage tanks. It is also used in the development of equations of state, which are used to model the properties of gases under different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Van der Waals partial derivative?

Although the Van der Waals partial derivative is a more accurate representation of real gas behavior compared to the ideal gas law, it still has limitations. It does not take into account the effects of high pressures and low temperatures, which can lead to significant deviations from experimental data. In addition, it does not consider the effects of non-spherical molecules, which can also affect the behavior of real gases.