PDE Cylindrical and Spherical Symmetry

In summary: Well, I'm not here to teach an entire course on PDE's...you must at least know the method of Separation of variables right?Yes I do understand and know the method of Separation of variables.So then, try applying it...show an attempt:Laplace Equation (1/r) d/dr(rdu/dr) + (1/r^2)d^2u/ds = 0 (s represents theta)u(r,s)=R(r)S(s)(1/Rr)d/dr(rdR/dr) + (
walter9459

Homework Statement

Show that the solution u(r,theta) of Laplace's equation (nabla^2)*u=0 in the semi-circular region r<a, 0<theta<pi, which vanishes on theta=0 and takes the constant value A on theta=pi and on the curved boundary r=a, is
u(r,theta)=(A/pi)[theta + 2*summation ((r/a)^n*((sin n*theta)/n)])

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't now where to even begin. I am struggling and am requesting help in explaining what I do not understand. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the general soltion to Laplace's equation for cylindrical symmetry...what's that?

Now, what are your boundary conditions for this problem?

This was all the data I was given. Our book is very brief and assumes you are very proficient with ODE's. I am struggling and need to understand these concepts. Thanks!

Well, I'm not here to teach an entire course on PDE's...you must at least know the method of Separation of variables right?

Yes I do understand and know the method of Separation of variables.

Well then, try applying it...show an attempt

okay I have been studying my book all weekend and this is what I had.
Laplace Equation (1/r) d/dr(rdu/dr) + (1/r^2)d^2u/ds = 0 (s represents theta)
u(r,s)=R(r)S(s)
(1/Rr)d/dr(rdR/dr) + (1/(r^2S))(d^2S/ds^2) = 0
(1/S)d^2S/ds^2 = -w^2 and (r/R)d/dr(rdR/dr)= w^2
Therefore S = A cos ws + B sin ws
r(d/dr(rdR/dr)) - w^2R = 0
w = n n=integer
r^2(d^2R/dr^2) + r(dR/dr) - n^2R = 0
R(r) = (C/r^n) + Dr^n
u(r,s) = ((C/r^n) + Dr^n)(A cos ns + B sin ns)

r=a therefore un(r,s) = r^n(An cos ns + Bn sin ns)

This is a interior Dirichlet problem therefore the solution is
u(r,s) = A0/2 + Summation (r/a)^n(An cos ns + Bn sin ns)

This is where I get lost, I think I need to do the following:
Bn = 1/(2*pi) integral 0 to pi m sin nm dm.

walter9459 said:
okay I have been studying my book all weekend and this is what I had.
Laplace Equation (1/r) d/dr(rdu/dr) + (1/r^2)d^2u/ds = 0 (s represents theta)
u(r,s)=R(r)S(s)
(1/Rr)d/dr(rdR/dr) + (1/(r^2S))(d^2S/ds^2) = 0
(1/S)d^2S/ds^2 = -w^2 and (r/R)d/dr(rdR/dr)= w^2

So far so good, but you will need to analyze 3 different cases:

(1)w^2>0
(2)w^2=0
(3)w^2<0

You may find non-trivial solutions in more than one of these cases for this problem:wink:...

Therefore S = A cos ws + B sin ws
This is correct for the first case , but don't forget to analyze the other two cases as-well!

r(d/dr(rdR/dr)) - w^2R = 0
w = n n=integer

How are you deducing that w is an integer? This can only come from applying your boundary conditions...

What is PDE Cylindrical Symmetry and how does it differ from Spherical Symmetry?

PDE Cylindrical Symmetry refers to the property of a system or equation where its behavior remains the same when rotated around a cylindrical axis. This is different from Spherical Symmetry, which refers to the property where the system's behavior remains the same when rotated around a spherical axis. In other words, cylindrical symmetry is a subset of spherical symmetry.

What are some examples of systems that exhibit PDE Cylindrical Symmetry?

Some common examples of systems that exhibit PDE Cylindrical Symmetry include cylindrical tanks or pipes, cylindrical lenses or mirrors, and cylindrical shells or cylinders. These systems are often used in engineering and physics applications.

How is PDE Cylindrical Symmetry useful in solving differential equations?

PDE Cylindrical Symmetry can simplify the solution of differential equations by reducing the number of variables and making the problem more symmetric. This can lead to a more efficient solution method and provide physical insight into the behavior of the system.

What are the key differences between PDE Cylindrical Symmetry and PDE Spherical Symmetry?

The key difference between PDE Cylindrical Symmetry and PDE Spherical Symmetry is the shape of the symmetry axis. While cylindrical symmetry involves a cylindrical axis, spherical symmetry involves a spherical axis. Additionally, spherical symmetry is a more general form of symmetry as it includes cylindrical symmetry as a special case.

How is PDE Cylindrical Symmetry related to the conservation of angular momentum?

PDE Cylindrical Symmetry is closely related to the conservation of angular momentum. The symmetry of a system around a cylindrical axis implies that the angular momentum of the system is conserved around that axis. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of rotating systems and understanding their stability.