Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pendulum and Gravity

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    Alright so here’s the problem. In lab we are supposed to come up with a way to figure out gravity using an experiment. The experiment that I came up with is to use a pendulum and find its period and then calculate the gravity. I know this is possible but I don’t know the equations. If anyone can help me out with the equations for this type of problem it would be much appreciated. Also, would it be better to do a few different string lengths or keep the string length constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The period of a simple pendulum is

[tex]T=\pi \sqrt{ \frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

With L being the length of the pendulum.

I would use the longest string you possibly can.

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

Remember, that expression,

[tex]T=\pi \sqrt{ \frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

is an approximation and is accurate only for small oscillations, where [tex]sin\theta \approx \theta[/tex]

That's why you should use as long a string as possible, so as to keep the amplitude of oscillation as small as possible.

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4
    Thanks... I need to run the expirement again. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook