1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum and Gravity

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    Alright so here’s the problem. In lab we are supposed to come up with a way to figure out gravity using an experiment. The experiment that I came up with is to use a pendulum and find its period and then calculate the gravity. I know this is possible but I don’t know the equations. If anyone can help me out with the equations for this type of problem it would be much appreciated. Also, would it be better to do a few different string lengths or keep the string length constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The period of a simple pendulum is

[tex]T=\pi \sqrt{ \frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

With L being the length of the pendulum.

I would use the longest string you possibly can.

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

Remember, that expression,

[tex]T=\pi \sqrt{ \frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

is an approximation and is accurate only for small oscillations, where [tex]sin\theta \approx \theta[/tex]

That's why you should use as long a string as possible, so as to keep the amplitude of oscillation as small as possible.

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4
    Thanks... I need to run the expirement again. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?