Calculate Gravity Using Pendulum Experiment

In summary, the problem is to find a way to calculate gravity using an experiment in lab. The suggested method is to use a pendulum and calculate its period, but the equations for this type of problem are unknown. It is recommended to use the longest string possible to keep the amplitude of oscillation small in order for the equation to be accurate.
Effitol840
Alright so here’s the problem. In lab we are supposed to come up with a way to figure out gravity using an experiment. The experiment that I came up with is to use a pendulum and find its period and then calculate the gravity. I know this is possible but I don’t know the equations. If anyone can help me out with the equations for this type of problem it would be much appreciated. Also, would it be better to do a few different string lengths or keep the string length constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Effitol840 said:
Alright so here’s the problem. In lab we are supposed to come up with a way to figure out gravity using an experiment. The experiment that I came up with is to use a pendulum and find its period and then calculate the gravity. I know this is possible but I don’t know the equations. If anyone can help me out with the equations for this type of problem it would be much appreciated. Also, would it be better to do a few different string lengths or keep the string length constant?

The period of a simple pendulum is

[tex]T=\pi \sqrt{ \frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

With L being the length of the pendulum.

I would use the longest string you possibly can.

Remember, that expression,

[tex]T=\pi \sqrt{ \frac{L}{g}}[/tex]

is an approximation and is accurate only for small oscillations, where [tex]sin\theta \approx \theta[/tex]

That's why you should use as long a string as possible, so as to keep the amplitude of oscillation as small as possible.

Thanks... I need to run the expirement again. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask.

What is the purpose of the "Calculate Gravity Using Pendulum Experiment"?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the acceleration due to gravity, or the gravitational constant, by observing the motion of a pendulum. This can help us understand the principles of gravity and its effects on objects.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need a pendulum, a stopwatch, a ruler, a weight, and a string or wire. You will also need a stable surface to hang the pendulum from and a way to measure the angle of the pendulum's swing.

How does the length of the pendulum affect the results of the experiment?

The length of the pendulum will affect the period, or the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. The longer the pendulum, the longer the period, and the slower the acceleration due to gravity will appear. This is why it is important to use a pendulum with a consistent length for accurate results.

What is the equation used to calculate gravity using this experiment?

The equation used is T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period of the pendulum, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for g and calculate the gravitational constant.

What are some sources of error in this experiment?

Some sources of error in this experiment can include air resistance, human error in measuring the pendulum's swing, and inconsistencies in the length of the pendulum. To minimize these errors, it is important to conduct multiple trials and take the average of the results.