Pendulum - find maximum angular displacement

In summary, the given equation describes the motion of a 15-centimeter pendulum with an angular displacement of theta=0.2cos8t, where theta is in radians and t is in seconds. When t=3 seconds, the maximum angular displacement and the rate of change of theta can be determined by solving for theta at the endpoints and critical numbers. However, without information on initial displacement or velocity, using physics equations is not applicable. An alternative approach is to graph y=0.2cos8t or recall the value(s) of x that make cos x a maximum.
Lunadora

Homework Statement

A 15-centimeter pendulum moves according to the equation:

theta=0.2cos8t

where theta is the angular displacement from the vertical in radians and t is the time in seconds. Determine the maximum angular displacement and the rate of change of theta when t=3 seconds.

Homework Equations

See, here's where I get stuck. It doesn't seem like I'm given enough information to do ANYTHING with this problem. At first I thought I could find the absolute maximum value by solving for theta at the endpoints and critical numbers, but I don't have any endpoints. Any physics equations I could use go out the window as well, because I have no initial displacement or velocity or any such stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

Insert an hour of frustrated grumbling here, with no results.

Physics news on Phys.org
Graph y=0.2cos8t to see the whole picture!
Or recall what value(s) of x make cos x a maximum. Graph y = cos x if you don't recall.

I understand your frustration with this problem. However, there are a few things we can do to solve it.

Firstly, we can use the given equation to plot a graph of theta versus time. This will give us a visual representation of the pendulum's motion and we can use it to estimate the maximum angular displacement.

Secondly, we can use the equation for simple harmonic motion, theta = A cos(wt), where A is the amplitude and w is the angular frequency, to find the maximum angular displacement. In this case, we know that A = 0.2 radians and w = 8 radians/second. So, the maximum angular displacement can be found by substituting these values into the equation: theta = 0.2 cos(8t). This will give us a maximum angular displacement of 0.2 radians.

Finally, to find the rate of change of theta at t = 3 seconds, we can differentiate the given equation with respect to time. This will give us the angular velocity, which is the rate of change of theta. So, we can use the equation: omega = -A w sin(wt), where omega is the angular velocity. Substituting the values of A and w, we get omega = -0.2*8*sin(8t). At t = 3 seconds, the angular velocity will be -0.2*8*sin(8*3) = -0.2*8*sin(24) = approximately -3.14 radians/second.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Remember, as a scientist, it's important to think outside the box and use different approaches to solve problems. Good luck!

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is able to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. What is maximum angular displacement?

Maximum angular displacement is the farthest angle that a pendulum swings away from its resting position. It is measured in degrees or radians.

3. How do you find the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum?

To find the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum, you can use the equation θ = θ0cos(ωt), where θ0 is the initial angle, ω is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

4. What factors affect the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum?

The factors that affect the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum include the length of the pendulum, gravitational force, and initial angle of release.

5. Why is the maximum angular displacement of a pendulum important?

The maximum angular displacement of a pendulum is important because it is used to determine the period and frequency of the pendulum's motion, which can be applied to various fields such as physics and engineering.