Pendulum: Generic Solution for Angle

In summary, the angle at which the pendulum swings is determined by the momentum of the bullet, the force exerted on the bob by the bullet, and angular velocity of the two together.
Return
[SOLVED] Pendulum: Generic Solution for Angle

Hey guys, I'm a little lost on this one, not sure where to start.

I'm doing a lab involving a pendulum bob being hit by a ball and them sticking together (inelastic collision). Almost like a ballistic pendulum right? Anyway, I need to find the generic solution for the angle (theta) that the pendulum swings.

From what I understand this is not simple harmonic motion in general, and can only use that as a model for very small angular displacements. Also momentum is only conserved right before the collision and right after the collision, right? Other than that I really don't know where to start. I figure that the angle has to relate to the velocity of the bullet, the force exerted on the bob by the bullet, and angular velocity of the two together.

Any help to set me on track would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum conservation is useful before to immediately after the collision, after which energy conservation takes you the rest of the way home.

But isn't energy not conserved because the collision is inelastic?

Attack this problem in two steps:
(1) The collision. What's conserved?
(2) The rising of the pendulum after the collision. What's conserved?

1. Ok at the collision, momentum is conserved p(i) = p(f)
mv(i)(bullet) = [m(bullet) + m(bob)]v(f)

2. As the pendulum is rising, energy is conserved? E(i) = E(f)
so...PE(i) + KE(i) = PE(f) + KE(f) --> ok here's where I am a little confused, the initial conditions for PE and KE, they are for the instant after the collision has taken place? and the final KE and PE are for when the pendulum reaches its maximum height?

the arc the pendulum makes equals (r)(θ) right? So angular velocity would be (r)(θ)/t? This all makes sense to me for the most part, but I don't understand how to put it all together.

lol thank you though for making me think of it in two parts, it makes way more sense this way.

what factors do I include in the equation of theta? can I use kinematics equations?

Hi Return,

Return said:
1. Ok at the collision, momentum is conserved p(i) = p(f)
mv(i)(bullet) = [m(bullet) + m(bob)]v(f)

2. As the pendulum is rising, energy is conserved? E(i) = E(f)
so...PE(i) + KE(i) = PE(f) + KE(f) --> ok here's where I am a little confused, the initial conditions for PE and KE, they are for the instant after the collision has taken place? and the final KE and PE are for when the pendulum reaches its maximum height?

That's right; and you have formula for PE and KE. Use them in the energy equation; once you see what you have you'll know what you still have to find. What do you get for the energy equation?

ok so i end up getting

V^2/2 = gh

so I need to express h in terms of theta right? Lsin(theta)?

Return said:
ok so i end up getting

V^2/2 = gh
Right, where V is your v(f) from the momentum equation.

so I need to express h in terms of theta right?
Yes.
Lsin(theta)?
No, that gives you the horizontal distance; you want the vertical. (Draw yourself a diagram.)

phew, ok thanks for the help, i got the generic solution earlier today!

Related to Pendulum: Generic Solution for Angle

1. How does a pendulum work?

A pendulum works by utilizing the forces of gravity and inertia to create a back-and-forth swinging motion. When the pendulum is pulled to one side and released, gravity pulls it back towards its resting position. However, inertia causes the pendulum to overshoot its resting position and continue swinging back and forth until it eventually loses momentum due to friction.

2. What is the formula for the period of a pendulum?

The formula for the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time for one complete swing), L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes small oscillations and negligible air resistance.

3. How do you find the angle of displacement for a pendulum?

The angle of displacement for a pendulum can be found using the equation θ = A*sin(2πt/T), where θ is the angle of displacement, A is the amplitude (maximum angle of displacement), t is the time, and T is the period of the pendulum.

4. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity. The period is longer for longer pendulums, heavier pendulums, and pendulums in locations with a lower acceleration due to gravity (such as at higher altitudes).

5. How is a pendulum used in science and everyday life?

In science, pendulums are used to study the effects of gravity and inertia. They are also used in timekeeping devices, such as grandfather clocks and metronomes. In everyday life, pendulums can be seen in amusement park rides, playground swings, and even in the swinging motion of a child's swing.