Solving the Pendulum Problem: An Overview

• Thread starter tapeworm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation suggests approaching the given problem in physics by first considering energy relationships and then using a force diagram at the point where the string goes slack. After that, it is recommended to treat the particle as in free fall and apply principles of projectile motion.
tapeworm

Homework Statement

I attached a picture of the problem given. In my physics class we never work with numbers we always work with variables.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Here is a link as well.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/TOmaynardOL/IMG_0001-1.jpg

Homework Equations

I have yet to tackle this problem, but I am thinking about using the total work equations. (kinetic, potential, work due to spring etc)

The Attempt at a Solution

As stated above, not yet done, but working on an approach before I go head first going about it all wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tapeworm,

tapeworm said:

Homework Statement

I attached a picture of the problem given. In my physics class we never work with numbers we always work with variables.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Here is a link as well.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/TOmaynardOL/IMG_0001-1.jpg

Homework Equations

I have yet to tackle this problem, but I am thinking about using the total work equations. (kinetic, potential, work due to spring etc)

Using energy relationships sounds like a good idea; also, you might consider a force diagram at the point where the string goes slack.

Im stuck, any suggestions? (when string goes slack) (projectile motion?)

tapeworm said:
Im stuck, any suggestions? (when string goes slack) (projectile motion?)

That looks right to me; after the string becomes slack, the only force acting on the particle is gravity so it is in free fall, and you can treat it as projectile motion.

1. What is the pendulum problem?

The pendulum problem is a physics problem that involves finding the motion of a pendulum under the influence of gravity. It is commonly used as an example to demonstrate the principles of oscillation and harmonic motion.

2. Why is solving the pendulum problem important?

Solving the pendulum problem helps us understand the principles of oscillation and harmonic motion, which are fundamental concepts in physics. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of pendulum clocks and other mechanical devices.

3. What are the key components of solving the pendulum problem?

The key components of solving the pendulum problem include understanding the physical properties of a pendulum, such as its length, mass, and angle of displacement; applying Newton's laws of motion; and using mathematical tools such as calculus and trigonometry.

4. What are some common approaches to solving the pendulum problem?

Some common approaches to solving the pendulum problem include using the small-angle approximation, which assumes that the pendulum's angle of displacement is small; using energy conservation principles; and solving the differential equation that describes the pendulum's motion.

5. What are some practical applications of solving the pendulum problem?

Solving the pendulum problem has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and robotics. It is used in the design of pendulum clocks, seismometers, and other mechanical devices. It also helps in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, and in the development of stable walking patterns for robots.