Pendulum and elevator question

In summary, the period of a pendulum suspended from the ceiling of an elevator changes when the elevator moves upward with constant acceleration due to the presence of an inertial force acting on the pendulum. This inertial force is opposite in direction to the acceleration and creates an apparent gravitational field, causing the period of the pendulum to increase. The same principle applies to objects inside a moving vehicle, where they experience an apparent force in the opposite direction of the acceleration.
sheepy

Homework Statement

A pendulum of length L is suspended from the ceiling of an elevator. When the elevator is at rest the period of the pendulum is T. How does the period of the pendulum change when the elevator moves upward with constant acceleration? Explain.

Homework Equations

T=2pi ([tex]\sqrt{l/g}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that..the period relies on the gravitational force which changes as the elevator is moving. i THINK that when the elevator moves up, gravity increases..but i am not sure why. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are sitting in the bus and bus suddenly starts, you were thrown in the opposite direction. If you are sitting in the moving bus and if the driver suddenly applies the brakes you were thrown in the forward direction. Why is it so? Same reason applies to the lift problem.

I believe it is due to a thing called the "inertial force", it is an apparent force acting on the object when it is inside a non-inertial reference frame (such as the accelerating elevator)
this is the prime reason why the "Foucault pendulum" can be used to test whether the Earth is rotating.

sheepy said:
i know that..the period relies on the gravitational force which changes as the elevator is moving. i THINK that when the elevator moves up, gravity increases..but i am not sure why. please help!

On all objects in the frame of reference of the lift, there acts the pseudo force or the inertial force -ma, opposite to the direction of a. It's as if there's an added g-field of strength a, acting downward, in addition to the actual g.

Can you find T now?

1. What is a pendulum and elevator question?

A pendulum and elevator question is a thought experiment that involves a pendulum suspended from the ceiling of an elevator. As the elevator moves, the pendulum's motion is affected by the acceleration of the elevator, leading to interesting observations and conclusions.

2. How does the acceleration of an elevator affect a pendulum?

The acceleration of an elevator affects a pendulum by causing the pendulum to swing in a curved path rather than a straight line. This is due to the inertia of the pendulum's mass and the force of gravity.

3. What is the significance of the pendulum and elevator question?

The pendulum and elevator question helps to demonstrate principles of physics, such as inertia and acceleration, and how they affect the motion of objects. It also highlights the importance of considering the frame of reference when analyzing motion.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its motion in the elevator?

The length of the pendulum affects its motion in the elevator by changing the period of its swing. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, meaning it takes more time to complete one swing. This can lead to different observations in the elevator.

5. Can the pendulum and elevator question be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the principles demonstrated in the pendulum and elevator question can be applied to real-world situations, such as understanding the motion of objects in a moving vehicle or analyzing the effects of acceleration on objects. It is also a common example used in physics education to illustrate concepts.