Calculating Initial Velocity for a Pendulum to Reach the Top Without Oscillation

In summary, to find the minimum initial velocity for a mass on a pendulum to just barely make it over the top without oscillating, the equation v0 = √(20L(1+cosθ)) should be used, taking into account that potential energy should be measured with respect to the center of the circle.
amcavoy
If a mass (m) at the end of a length (L) on a pendulum starts at an angle of θ from the vertical, what is the minimum inital velocity v0 it must have to just barely make it over the top and not oscillate?

This is what I did:

[tex]\Delta K=mgh\implies v_0=\sqrt{v^2-2gh}[/tex]

but at the top, v is zero so it can be written as:

[tex]v_0=\sqrt{-2gh}[/tex]

and h in this case is L+Lcosθ, so using g=-10m/s2 I get:

[tex]v_0=\sqrt{20L\left(1+\cos{\theta}\right)}[/tex]

but whenever I plug in values for θ and L, I get the wrong answer. I can't see what I did wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
What School do you go to?

JeremyM said:
What School do you go to?
I'm in high school.

At the top the pendulum has 0 velocity (actually, it should have just a tiny non-zero velocity but you can take 0 as "boundary" between going over the top and not making it to the top) and so has no kinetic energy but has potential energy, -mgL (relative to the height of the pivot- the center of the circle the pendulum moves in). Initially, it has velocity v0 and so kinetic energy (1/2)mv0[/sub]2 AND some potential energy. Have you taken into account the fact that the potential energy has to be measured with respect to the center of the circle?

1. What is a pendulum without oscillation?

A pendulum without oscillation is a pendulum that is not able to swing back and forth in a regular pattern. This can be due to external forces or factors like air resistance, friction, or incorrect initial conditions.

2. How does a pendulum without oscillation differ from a regular pendulum?

A regular pendulum has a consistent and predictable motion, swinging back and forth in a regular pattern. A pendulum without oscillation, on the other hand, may have a more erratic or irregular motion due to external forces acting on it.

3. What are some factors that can cause a pendulum to not oscillate?

Some factors that can cause a pendulum to not oscillate include air resistance, friction, changes in the center of mass, and incorrect initial conditions. These factors can disrupt the pendulum's motion and prevent it from swinging back and forth in a regular pattern.

4. Can a pendulum without oscillation be used to measure time?

No, a pendulum without oscillation cannot be used to accurately measure time. A regular pendulum's motion is predictable and consistent, making it a reliable timekeeping tool. However, a pendulum without oscillation will not have a consistent motion, making it unreliable for timekeeping purposes.

5. How can a pendulum without oscillation be used in scientific experiments?

A pendulum without oscillation can still be useful in scientific experiments, as it allows for the study of how external forces affect the motion of a pendulum. By controlling and manipulating these external factors, scientists can better understand the principles of motion and energy. Additionally, a pendulum without oscillation can also be used to demonstrate chaotic or unpredictable systems.