1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent of solution

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Percent of solution

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let's say we have 5% glucose of a 10 mL solution. So that would imply that .5 mL of the solution is glucose, but that does not really tell me how much glucose. Is it assumed that the glucose is 1 molar?

I ask because in one of my bio labs we did a lab where we were given exactly as stated above. Knowing the exact amount of glucose was not needed for the lab, however, I would like to understand this for future use.

Thanks for any input.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2
  4. Apr 10, 2008 #3
    Yeah, the post above mine tells you exactly what you need to do.
  5. Apr 10, 2008 #4
    Okay, let's see if I got this right. Since the solute is H2O, I assume 1 molar H2O.
    Since 1 mole H2O = 18 grams/mole and I use the molarity formula to get grams.
    10mL of H20 or .01L x 1 molar = .01 grams of H20.
    ergo .01g H2O x 5% = 5 x 10^-4 gram glucose, or .0005 gram.
    Is that correct?

Thanks in advance
  6. Apr 10, 2008 #5
    yes now if only someone would help me for christ's sake...
  7. Apr 10, 2008 #6
    I wish I could, but as you can see, I am not that good at chem. Thanks for the assist :)
  8. Apr 10, 2008 #7

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You probably need to use units of percent weight/volume of solution. The glucose solution is not sensibly prepared as volume of glucose solid per volume of solution.
  9. Apr 11, 2008 #8
    So by that you mean, Mass of solute/100 mL solution? So I think that would equate to .5 gram C6H12O6 @ 10mL Does that sound correct?
  10. Apr 11, 2008 #9

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That would give you 5 percent weight per volume.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?